01 of 06
Fairmont Grand Del Mar: Highest-Rated Resort in Southern California
Fairmont Grand Del Mar: Southern California's Highest-Ranked Resort
Fairmont Grand Del Mar is a sumptuous, super-high-end getaway resort in Southern California.
• This is the region's most-decorated resort, with the rare combination of Five Stars from Forbes and Five Diamonds from AAA
• Guests at Fairmont Grand Del Mar enjoy great dining, a spa, championship golf course, several pools, and much more.
• This important, imposing grand hotel has also won highest accolades from Travel + Leisure and Tripadvisor
• The hotel is not a budget choice, but offers many deals and packages
What and Where Is Fairmont Grand Del Mar?
Fairmont Grand Del Mar is in Southern California, but it is not a beachfront resort.
• It is a beautiful, 4,000-acre estate in the coastal hills of scenic San Diego County
• Nature surrounds you; the resort is next door to the 4,100-acre Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve
Style of Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar, built in 2007, is a spectacular resort designed in fantasy style.
• It reminds some guests of a Moroccan palace, others of a Tuscan estate
• Rooms are posh, public spaces are elegant, and landscaping is plush.
The resort's design is a tribute to 1920’s visionary architect Addison Mizner.
• Fairmont Grand Del Mar's deluxe restaurant, Addison, is named for him
• Mizner is strongly associated with South Florida, where he designed resort communities including Palm Beach and Boca Raton (famed for the pink palace Boca Raton Resort)
Kids and Pets are Welcome at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
The resort is family-friendly. It is also a relatively pet-friendly hotel, permitting cats and smaller dogs for a one-time housekeeping fee
Do You Know Fairmont Hotels? They're Very Nice Luxury Hotels
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is one of the world's most famed luxury hotel brands.
• Fairmont was originally called Canadian Pacific Hotels, which were chateaux built along Canada's coast-to-coast railroad
• Today, Fairmont properties are worldwide, and known for their prime locations and excellent service
• Here on Luxury Travel, read more about the beloved Fairmont hotel brand
Will you, luxury traveler, like Fairmont Grand Del Mar? Take the quiz >>Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Is Fairmont Grand Del Mar Your Resort Style? Take the Quiz
Are You Going to Like Fairmont Grand Del Mar? Find Out!
You will probably love Fairmont Grand Del Mar if:
• You're looking for a five-star getaway near San Diego
• You love a complete resort with everything you want on-property
• You're a connoisseur of classic resorts
• You won't settle for OK service, and seek five-star hospitality
• You're looking for a deluxe getaway for two
• Or for your sophisticated young brood (and dog)
• You're a gourmet who's been lusting after a memorable meal with no drive home
You may not love Fairmont Grand Del Mar if:
• You prefer modern hotels with an airy, uncluttered feeling
• You're looking for a beach resort
• Or you wanted a more urban experience
• Or a resort with an intense nightlife scene
See just how nice the guest rooms and suites are at Fairmont Grand Del Mar >>Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Fairmont Grand Del Mar's Rooms and Suites
Sumptuous Rooms at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
The resort has 249 guestrooms, 31 of which are suites.
Rooms come in numerous categories, detailed here. Overall, resort digs are spacious, opulent, and comfortable: a pleasure to live in.
The Standard Room Is Hardly Standard
Guest accommodations range from so-called Standard Rooms spanning a whopping 550 square feet.
• Executive Suites are 1,010 square feet, and a pair of Presidential Suites are 2,840
What You Get in All Fairmont Grand Del Mar Rooms
Accommodations are elaborately decorated in Empire style, with a royal gold and blue palette.
• Fine materials abound: crystal lamps, burled wood, brocade, marble
• Ceilings are hand-stenciled, like frescoes
• Custom-designed, handmade furniture is a nod to old California elegance
Amenities common to all rooms:
• Outdoor balcony, terrace, or patio, with chaise loungers
• Pillowtop bed with Pratesi linens and goose-down pillows
• Flat-paneled 40" Sony television with HDTV
• iPod/iPhone dock
• Complimentary wifi
• Bottled water on the house
Amazing Bathrooms at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar's marble bathrooms are pure indulgence, offering:
• A deep soaking tub and separate walk-in shower
• TV (in the bathroom)
• Plush robes and slippers
• Fragrant, custom-brand toiletries and pillar candles
Five-Star Service at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Impeccable, five-star hotel service is a hallmark of The Grand Del Mar.
• Your arrival feels like a grand event
• The staff is informed and helpful
• Housekeeping is discreet, thorough, with graceful evening turndown service
• Prompt laundry service caters to your immediate needs
• The concierge is well-versed in dining and entertainment options in San Diego and its surroundings
See why Fairmont Grand Del Mar's dining is so famous >>Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Addison Restaurant and Other Deluxe Dining Options at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Critically Acclaimed Dining at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Dining is one of the glories of Fairmont Grand Del Mar, with six varied dining venues on-property.
Addison Restaurant, Fairmont Grand Del Mar's Culinary Superstar
Addison is the resort’s spectacular fine-dining restaurant. It is, without a doubt, the most memorable dining experience in San Diego County.
Addison is housed in its own building, resembling a palazzo. It is elegantly embellished with a gold-leaf ceiling, graceful arched windows, and plush tapestry chairs.
Addison is honored by five stars from Forbes, five diamonds from AAA, a Grand Award from Wine Spectator, and inclusion in the elite French-based hospitality association, Relais & Chateaux
Chef William Bradley of Addison Restaurant
Chef William Bradley is a San Diego native. Yet his exquisite cooking rivals that found in the best French restaurants.
• See Addison's website
Addison's tasting-menus-only format, wine pairings, and gracious service do not miss a beat. This chef's four-course menu is simple perfection. And his Chef Bradley's 12-course extravaganza, Le Menu Gourmand, dazzles the palate and leaves a diner blissfully sated. What I mean:
• Japanese hiramasa (rich yellowtail) with pickled radish, cucumber, and yuzu is a winning starter
• My meal served confit of white sturgeon...
• And lush, milk-poached guinea fowl
• And roasted duck with caviar and coffee flavors, served with Kushikuri rice and crushed peanuts (as exotic and delicious as it sounds)
• See Addison's menus
Oh, the Service at Addison
Flawless service is performed in the classic European style, with timing so perfect it seems choreographed.
• The hostess will greet you by name
• Sommelier Elizabeth Huettinger will choose that perfect bottle from a list topping 3,500 labels
Addison Is Simply Stupendous
This restaurant s a prime reason why Fairmont Grand Del Mar is Southern California's most-awarded resort.
More Dining Choices at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
• Amaya features creative American cuisine, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, with many tables situated on a terrace overlooking the golf course. Harissa-grilled prawns and clay-pot- baked snapper are just two of the outstanding entrees at dinner
• Club M is Fairmont Grand Del Mar’s versatile venue. It serves breakfast (Continental on weekdays, full on weekends). Club M also hosts cocktails, with a popular Happy Hour. Expect live music on weekend evenings and a DJ later on
• Cent Anni, a gourmet coffee shop, features house-made pastries (including terrific muffins and cookies), sandwiches, salads
• Lobby Lounge is the place for cocktails and house spirits like strawberry-infused tequila, accompanied by bites like top-quality charcuterie, cured in-house
• The Library offer a traditional, English-style Afternoon Tea on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
Fairmont Grand Del Mar's dizzying array of fitness and recreation options >>Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Spa, Pools, Golf & More Recreation at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar, a Complete Relaxation Station
You could hole up in your gorgeous suite or laze by the pool. But there's so much to do here.
The Spa at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
The property’s vast, plush spa, The Spa at Fairmont Grand Del Mar, offers 11 treatment rooms and a Couple’s Suite.
• The full treatment menu covers body treatments, facials, and beauty indulgences
• Several services are tailored to gentlemen and athletes
• Treatments make use of healing ingredients harvested in the Carmel Valley, including mineral muds and clays, indigenous herbs and botanicals
• Spa patrons have full use of hydrotherapy pools, steam, sauna, a posh lounge, and the spa's Relaxation Pool
• Spa guests are served wonderful teas and tisanes, house muffins, and artisanal chocolates
• One unusual spa amenity: a free pass to the resort's kids' club for your child
• Beauty services await at Haim Salon
Fitness at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
The resort's handsome, airy Fitness Center could be the best hotel gym you've seen in a while.
• Options cover a full range of cardio, strength-training, floor equipment, and personal training sessions
• Complimentary classes include yoga, Pilates, Zumba, spin, and more
• Men’s and women’s locker rooms offer Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and lounge areas
• The resort offers spa packages
Pools at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Swimmers have their choice of several swimming pools.
• The lovely outdoor Relaxation Pool is surrounded by chaise lounges and cabanas
• A lap pool awaits the goggles crowd
• Hot tubs dot pool areas
The Grand Golf Club
The Grand Golf Club is the resort's acclaimed, par-72, year-round golf course.
• The visually breathtaking course was designed by Tom Fazio
• The Clubhouse is a friendly hang, with good food and drink and a pro shop
• The resort offers golf packages
More Recreation at Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Whatever you want to do, you can do it here.
• The resort's thousands of acres are criss-crossed with trails for hikers, mountain bikers, and horseback riding
• The resort has a tennis club and beautifuly maintained courts
• In summer and November, the nearby Del Mar Thoroughbred Club racetrack tempts many guests with its lovely grounds and world-class horse racing
Connect with Fairmont Grand Del Mar >>Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Connect with Fairmont Grand Del Mar