One of the Top 10 Reasons to Love Summer in Vancouver, The Fair at the PNE is the city's end-of-summer send-off. For the last two weeks of August (through Labour Day Weekend), the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition) and Playland Amusement Park host an enormous summer fair, with more than 50 rides and attractions, nightly concerts, live performances, agricultural and animal displays, games, and food, that's fun for everyone, regardless of age.
The Fair at the PNE began in 1910 as an agricultural fair (it still has a huge range of animal displays and shows) and slowly grew to be one of the biggest fairs in North America. Each summer, the Fair draws over one million people from all over Metro Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
Where: The Fair at the PNE is located on Hastings Street and Renfrew Street, in East Vancouver. (There are multiple entrances to the fairgrounds; see map below for details).
Getting to The Fair at the PNE: There is paid parking available in lots around the fairgrounds, but it is pricey: expect to pay approximately $20 per car.
Get there cheaply on public transit: Translink offers additional bus service during The Fair. Buses include the #16 PNE Special from 29th Avenue Station stopping at Renfrew Skytrain Station; #210 PNE Special from Phibbs exchange in North Vancouver; and the West Vancouver Blue Bus Special from Horseshoe Bay.
Use the Translink site to plan your trip.
Highlights of the Fair at the PNE
There is so much to do at the Fair at the PNE that it's almost impossible to take it all in in only one day. Favourites include:
- The food! From fair classics like corn dogs and cotton candy to mini donuts, waffles, Chinese fare, Mexican food, Indian food, and more, the Fair is loaded with tasty treats.
- 50+ Playland Amusement Park Rides, including the famous Wooden Roller Coaster and the AtmosFEAR. (Note: Ride passes must be purchased separately from gate entrance fees.)
- Midway Games, including classics like "Wac-a-Mole."
- Summer Night Concerts, which are free with admission (though you can reserve seats for $20).
- Live Shows and Performances, which are also free with admission, including the famous SuperDogs.
- Agricultural Shows, including the 4-H Festival, Safeway Farm Country (where kids can pet the animals), and the Pacific Spirit Horse Show.
Admission Fees & Schedules for The Fair at the PNE: The Fair at the PNE.