Electricity in Italy - Plugs, Adapters and Converters

6 adapters
••• Amazon.com
  • 01 of 02

    What You Need to Know about Italian Electricity

    italian electric socket photo
    ••• Italian Electric Socket. by James Martin, Europe Travell"

    Electricity in Italy, as in the rest of Europe, comes out of the wall socket at 220 volts alternating at a 50 cycles per second. In the US, electricity comes out of the wall socket at 110 volts, alternating at 60 cycles per second. Not only the voltages and frequencies, but the sockets themselves are different.

    The photo shows a normal Italian power socket. To access it with an adapter that connects to a typical American power plug, you'll need an adapter like the one shown in the photo on the next page or on this list of recommended power adapters and converters.

    Tourists wishing to use laptops, cell phones, battery chargers, their own hair dryers and other electrical appliances in Italy will need to know how to convert the appliances to use the new voltage, and how to connect that appliance to the sockets in the wall.

    Continue reading to learn about adapters and power converters for travel in Italy.

    Continue to 2 of 2 below.
  • 02 of 02

    What You Need to Use Your Electrical Items in Italy

    The plug adapters shown in the photo are probably all you need to convert the US rectangular pronged plug to the round prong Italian power plug used in most Italian homes and hotels. This adapter is ungrounded, which is why it doesn't have a third, center prong. This is fine for devices which are insulated (having a plastic body, for instance).

    Plug Adapters

    Plug adapters are the interfaces between the American flat-pronged plug and Italy's two (or three) round-prong socket. These allow you to plug your electrical device into the Italian wall socket, but they do not convert the electricity to the American 110 volts. If your appliance is designed to run only on 110-120 volts, you are likely to see smoke, if not fire, from this potent miss-mating. You will need a step-down power converter or transformer to safely step the voltage down from 220 to 110. More on this later.

    You can get along with just a plug converter for many of today's small electrical devices designed to run on...MORE dual voltages. Devices like this include most laptops and phones, most recently produced battery chargers, and many small, electrical gadgets, especially those designed for world travel. You can check the back of the device or the "power brick" for the electrical input specifications.

    To buy adapters or converters to take to Italy, see: Power Adapters and Electrical Converters.

    Transformers or Power Converters

    Hair dryers and curling irons are the bane of modern day travel. These devices cannot often be used in dual voltage situations without voltage conversion. They are extremely high current devices, meaning that combined with the high voltage, they use a whole lot of power (current times voltage = power). You'll need to lug a large power converter or power transformer to convert Italy's higher voltage to the lower American voltage--or you'll risk having the curling iron really curl (meaning "fry") your hair.

    Frequent travelers will want to simply buy one of these devices in Europe to avoid carrying both the device and the converter around. They aren't expensive in Italy. Most hotels and rental properties supply proper hair driers so you probably won't need to bring your own.

    If you buy a power converter, make sure its power rating meets or exceeds the power rating of the single device you will use with it. This information is usually found on the body of the device near the power cord.

    For more information, see: Electricity in Europe - Power Sockets and the Connected Tourist.

    Read more Italy Travel and Safety Tips