Electrical Outlets in Scandinavia

The days of only needing to worry about bringing a passport, a wad of local currency, and a toothbrush when traveling abroad are long gone—nowadays keeping your electronics powered up is a non-negotiable option when visiting a foreign country.

While most tourists know that the electrical plugs may be different in Scandinavia, it's important to be aware if you'll need an adapter or transformer for the outlets abroad. If you are planning to bring small appliances, like a hairdryer or fabric streamer, you may need to invest in purchasing a convertor, in addition to a plug adaptor. 

Most of Scandinavia uses 220v and has the C/F Europlug types. Here's a list of the electrical outlet types you'll find in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and other countries.

01 of 05

Electrical Outlets in Sweden

euro outlet
altrendo images/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Sweden uses the Europlug (Type C & F) for electricity, with two round prongs.

If you're bringing a hair dryer or laptop, check if the label near its power cord shows 100-240v and 50-60 Hz. If it does not, you will need a "step-down transformer" (also called a converter). Almost every recently made laptop and mobile phone will be fine with just an adaptor, while small appliances from outside countries are more likely to require a converter to work properly. 

The converter will reduce the 220 volts from the outlet to provide just 110 volts for the appliance. These converters cost a little more than simple adapters.

02 of 05

Electrical Outlets in Norway

Europlug outlet and floral wallpaper
Jorn / Getty Images

The same plug (a C & F formed Europlug) and the same warnings are valid for Norway.

If you bring small appliances, be careful. The shape adapter may not be enough. While almost all personal electronics in recent years will accept both voltages, some older, smaller appliances don't work with the 220v in Europe.

03 of 05

Electrical Outlets in Iceland

euro outlets
Jorg Greuel/Photographer's Choice/Getty Images

Electricity in Iceland uses the Europlug/Schuko-Plug (CEE types), which has two round prongs. Iceland also uses 220v.

As in the other countries, all personal electronics in recent years will accept both voltages, but some older gadgets won't work with 220v. So leave the Gameboy and the hairdryer at home (most hotel rooms will contain a hairdryer anyway).

04 of 05

Electrical Outlets in Finland

European power strip
David Crespo/Getty Images

Finland differs a bit. Electrical plugs in Finland need two round prongs. They can be the ungrounded Europlug Type C or the grounded Schukoplug Type E/F.

If your travel appliance works with the strong European 220 voltage, you'll only have to change the shape of your existing power plug to fit into a Finnish outlet. And that's it. These simple plug adapters are relatively cheap and you can find many adapters for a few dollars or higher. 

Continue to 5 of 5 below.
05 of 05

Electrical Outlets in Denmark

Electrical outlet and switches
Tom Shower/EyeEm/Getty Images

It's not too hard to find out what kind of plug or converter you need for electrical outlets in Denmark. Most laptops will automatically work with 220-230 volts (check the back of your laptop for power input markings.) That means you'll only need an adapter to change the shape of your power plug to fit into an outlet in Denmark.

These power adapters are relatively cheap and you can Compare Prices.

Was this page helpful?