Spending the night in a castle sounds incredibly romantic -- and you can do it on your next vacation. The innkeepers at these castle bed and breakfasts are waiting to welcome you. This article includes castle bed and breakfasts in the United States and Canada. We also have a feature about European castle bed and breakfasts.
The Eastern United States
- Maine: Norumbega Inn, a Victorian Castle in Camden, Maine, has a spectacular view of Camden Harbor. Constructed in 1886, it was designed by Joseph B. Stearns, the inventor of duplex telegraphy, and was a private residence until 1984. Today this B&B welcomes guests to its 13 rooms, many with water views and fireplaces, and offers murder mystery weekends.
- Maryland: Simply named The Castle, this stone B&B was built in 1840 by the Union Mining Company. Later, a businessman from Scotland bought the property, added a third floor and kitchen/library wing, and converted the house into a replica of his home country's Craig Castle. Since then, the building has been used at various times as a dance hall, brothel, casino, and apartments. A two-year renovation project began in 1984; now this six-guest-room inn set on two acres welcomes visitors to Mt. Savage, Maryland.
- Massachusetts: Guests can stay in a private carriage house located next door to Herreshoff Castle, a reproduction of Erik the Red's 10th-century Viking castle in Greenland. Near the waterfront in the "Old Town" Crocker Park area of Marblehead, Massachusetts, this stone B&B contains a living room, galley kitchen and bathroom on the first floor and a bedroom with a stone fireplace and wood-planked cathedral ceiling on the second floor. Its decor includes Gothic doors and stained glass windows, carousel horses, medieval armor and other antiques.
- Vermont: The Castle in Ludlow, Vermont, has 10 guest rooms, some with a fireplace or whirlpool tub, as well as fine dining and a professional wedding consultant. At this century-old mansion, which European craftsman constructed for Gov. Fletcher over five years, the original 1905 wallpaper embellishes the walls along the grand staircase, and most of the lighting fixtures and all of the woodwork are original.
Castle Moffett in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada is situated on 185 acres and features special packages for those interested in romance and adventure. Visitors choosing their four-night adventure package could spend their time on a half-day hike, half-day kayak tour, or full-day driven Cabot Trail tour. Other options include horseback riding, golf, sailing, and bird or whale watching cruises.
The Middle States of the United States
- Iowa: Located on 400 acres in the Loess Hills near Glenwood, Iowa, the four-guest-room brick and stone Castle Unicorn includes a moat, a tower, and fountains as well as a sunroom with a hot tub and sauna.
- Kansas: The Grand Foyer of The Castle Inn Riverside in Wichita, Kansas, boasts a 275-year-old British staircase and a 675-year-old Grecian fireplace. Located on the banks of the Little Arkansas River, the 1888 Scottish castle features 14 rooms, including six Jacuzzi suites (three of which are in the Carriage House).
- Minnesota: Spicer Castle in Spicer, Minnesota, overlooks Green Lake and features eight guest rooms, a rustic log cabin, and a cottage; it offers murder mystery and dinner cruise packages. Listed in the National Registry of Historic Places, this inn was built as a seasonal home by the owner's grandfather and city founder in 1895 and was used as a landmark by fishermen, who dubbed the cottage Spicer's Castle.
- Ohio: GreatStone Castle, an 1895 Victorian mansion in Sidney, Ohio, features limestone construction, three turrets, and rare hardwoods. There are six guest rooms and a spa at this inn; guests can also rent the Canal Lake Lodge, situated in 100 acres of woods on a private lake three miles from Sidney. Sitting atop a hill amidst the trees and rocks of Wayne National Forest in southeast Ohio is a bed and breakfast designed in the style of a 12th-century Norman castle. There are eight guest rooms at Ravenwood Castle in New Plymouth, seven miles from the Hocking Hills; most include a fireplace and a deck or balcony and two have a Jacuzzi. Guests can also select from the seven Olde Worlde Cottages near the main building and the six Celtic Legends Cottages on the edge of the estate. For those who prefer roughing it, there are accommodations on air mattresses in the Gypsy Wagons, which are reproductions of 19th-century British wagons.
- Tennessee: Gatlinburg, Tennessee, may seem an unlikely place to find a castle, but Castle on the Green is there, just off the 7th fairway of the Bent Creek Golf Course. The nine bedrooms are said to mirror the tastes of various European monarchs, and The Dungeon replaces weapons of torture with a sauna and fireplace. Other amenities include billiards, bumper pool, and an outdoor spa, with three pools and tennis nearby in the Village of Cobbly Nob resort complex. This 7,500-square-foot mansion in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains is available for rent in its entirety.
- Texas: Castle Avalon, located near New Braunfels, in Texas Hill Country, has eight themed guest rooms, such as The Armory, with its swords, spears, plate armor and shields, and the Wizard's Room, hand-painted to resemble a crumbling castle tower and containing gargoyles, Pandora's box and a few of Merlin's pets. There is a hot tub under the oak trees and a self-guided nature trail through 160 acres of Texas ranchland. Built in 1894, Terrell Castle in San Antonio, Texas, offers four guest rooms and four suites, most with a king-sized bed and some with a fireplace. This limestone castle is furnished in Victorian style with a mix of antiques and modern pieces.
The Western States of the United States
- California: Overlooking the Palomar Mountains and surrounded by a lemon orchard, Cupid's Castle in Pauma Valley, California, offers four rooms, each with a private balcony and Jacuzzi.
- Colorado: Built in 1889, Castle Marne in Denver, Colorado, is furnished with family heirlooms, antiques, and reproductions. Of the nine guest rooms, three offer a hot tub with a private balcony and two feature an in-room whirlpool tub for two.
- Utah: A whirlpool tub and fireplace are part of all 10 guest rooms at the Castle Creek Inn in Sandy, Utah, located 20 minutes from Salt Lake International Airport. The King's Lodge suite boasts a pool table and a 46-inch television with surround sound.
- Washington: Manresa Castle in Port Townsend, Washington, was completed in 1892; with 30 rooms, it was the largest private residence ever built in Port Townsend. Since then, numerous renovations have taken place (there are now 43 bathrooms) and this inn offers a variety of rooms and suites as well as a restaurant and lounge, spacious gardens, and views of the Olympic and Cascade Mountains. On American Lake in Lakewood, Washington, Thornewood Castle features six guest rooms, including the Presidential Suite, where Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft have stayed. Among the amenities on the four-acre grounds are a sunken perennial English garden and an outdoor hot tub. According to the inn's owners, ghosts of the home's first residents make appearances at the 1911 English Tudor/Gothic mansion, which was the setting for the Stephen King miniseries Rose Red.