The East Village is technically part of the Lower East Side but began developing its own identity in the 1970s when the traditionally immigrant neighborhood became a mecca for artists, musicians, students, and writers. Since then, many of the neighborhood's residents are being priced out as the area gentrifies and rents rise. St. Mark's Place (East 8th Street), one of the neighborhood's most famous streets, is lined with bars, restaurants and shops and a popular strip for tourists to visit.
East Village Subways:
- Astor Place
- F, V
- Second Avenue
- N, R
- 8th Street/NYU
East Village Neighborhood Boundaries
- Houston Street on the South
- 14th Street on the North
- Bowery / Third Avenue on the West
- East River on the East
East Village Architecture
- First settled by immigrants in the mid-1800s, many original tenement buildings remain in the neighborhood.
- The neighborhood has been changing a lot, so you'll also find brand new construction mixed in with the neighborhood's rich historic buildings.
East Village Tours
East Village Restaurants
- Veselka - open 24-hours serving dinner and Ukranian food (144 2nd Avenue, 212-674-6377)
- Veniero's Pasticceria and Cafe - Italian bakery/cafe (163 1st Avenue, 212-388-1190)
- Lil' Frankies - simple Italian fare and pizzas in a bustling setting (19 1st Avenue, 212-420-4900)
- Panna II - fun atmosphere, lots of Christmas lights, decent Indian food (BYOB) (93 1st Avenue, 212-598-4610)
- Momofuku Noodle Bar - David Chang's popular noodle shop (163 First Avenue, 212-475-7899)
East Village Bars
- McSorley's - light and dark beer only, established in 1854 (15 East 7th Street)
- Joe's Pub - great small live music venue (425 Lafayette Street)
- Zum Schneider - indoor German-style beer garden, tasty German sausages (107 Avenue C, 212-598-1098)
- D.B.A. - beer/bourbon bar with great outdoor patio (41 First Avenue, 212-475-5097)
East Village Attractions
East Village Shopping
- St. Mark's Place - souvenirs, tattoo shops, clothing, etc.
- East 9th Street - vintage clothing, housewares, toys, music, and more are for sale at these small friendly boutiques
- The Strand - miles of discount books