Dulles International Airport was the first U.S. airport designed for commercial jet travel and was dedicated on November 17, 1962 by President John F. Kennedy. The following guide will tell you what you need to know about airport amenities, parking, ground transportation and more.
- Dulles Airport is located 26 miles from Downtown Washington DC in Chantilly, Virginia. The physical address is 1 Saarinen Cir, Dulles, VA 20166 See a map.
- Dulles Airport is the closest international airport to Washington DC. A short runway at Washington National Airport limits the size of the aircraft that are permitted to fly there so international passengers need to fly in and out of Dulles or BWI.
- Thirty Seven Airlines serve Dulles International Airport: Aer Lingus, Aeroflot, AeroMexico, Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air India, Alaska Airlines, ANA, American Airlines, Austrian, Avianca, British Airways, Brussels Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Copa Airlines, Delta, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Ethiopian, Frontier, Icdlandair, Jet Blue, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Korean Air, Lufthansa, Porter, Qatar Airways, Scandinavian Airlines, Saudi, Southwest Airlines, South African Airways, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways, Virginia Atlantic, and Volaris. For information about flight reservations and pricing, check online with a reservation service.
- There is plenty of available ground transportation. Taxis are readily available outside the terminal. Advance reservations are not needed. SuperShuttle, a van service offers shared rides within the metropolitan area. Metrobus operates an express bus service between Dulles Airport and downtown Washington, DC. Washington National Airport is served by nine car rental companies located on site. For all the details, see a guide to getting to Dulles Airport and Washington DC.
- Dulles International Airport has hourly, daily and economy parking lots. Public parking includes two daily garages, four economy parking lots and one hourly lot in front of the Main Terminal. Free shuttle buses are provided to transport passengers from the parking lots to the airport. PAY & GO is an automated payment system with payment machines located in the lower level of the terminal near the east and west exit doors and on the pedestrian bridge near the Daily Parking Garage. Read more about airport parking
- The free cell phone waiting area makes it easy to wait for a passenger. There is a designated area available for drivers to wait in the vehicle for arriving passengers (limited to one hour). It is located at the intersection of Rudder Road and Autopilot Drive.
- There are nearly 100 shops and restaurants in the Airport Terminals with a mix of national, local and regional retail and food concessions. The airport is added new stores and restaurants and upgraded its facilities in 2015. Among the world-class retail brands are Burberry, Coach, Estée Lauder/M.A.C, Kiehl’s, L’Occitane, Michael Kors, Montblanc, Thomas Pink, Tumi, Swarovski, Vineyard Vines, and Vera Bradley. New dining options include Carrabba’s Italian Grill, the Starbucks wine bar concept, Starbucks Evenings, Bracket Room Sports Lounge and The Kitchen by Wolfgang Puck.
- There are many hotels conveniently located within a few miles of the airport. Got an early morning flight? You may want to considering staying overnight at a hotel near Dulles International Airport. See a list of hotels near Dulles
- The Washington, DC area is served by three different airports. To learn about the differences Between National, Dulles and BWI Airports, see Washington DC Airports (Which One is Best).
For more information about Dulles International Airport, visit the official website at www.metwashairports.com.