People who visit Peru often book flights from city to city to avoid long bus rides across the country, but many travelers often overlook an important detail for their journey: baggage allowances for domestic flights in Peru.
If you're planning to fly between multiple destinations in Peru, you'll need to take into account what luggage you'll be allowed to take with you on domestic airlines before choosing what bags to bring and how much to pack inside them.
Most of Peru's domestic airlines allow at least one item of hand luggage and at least one checked piece (free of charge). By having the right kind of daypack and backpack (or suitcase), you can avoid excess baggage charges and reduce your overall travel costs.
Note: Items such as knives, penknives, box cutters, knives with folding or retractable blades, ice picks, scissors and other sharp-edged objects are not allowed in hand luggage on Peru’s domestic flights.
01 of 05
StarPerú is based in Lima and offers routes between the city and Iquitos, Huánuco, Cusco, Pucallpa, Tarapoto, and Puerto Maldonado in Peru as well as flights to Santiago, Chile. Founded in 1997, this airline started as a cargo company but shifted to a commercial transit model in 2004. Baggage allowances for StarPerú are as follows:
- Hand luggage: One piece, up to 4 kilograms (8.8 pounds), measuring no more than 40 centimeters (15.75 inches) tall, 35 centimeters (13.78 inches) wide, and 20 centimeters (7.87 inches) deep. You may also bring one laptop bag, purse, small bag, or another personal item.
- Checked baggage: Free for up to 25 kilograms (55 pounds) between two items of luggage measuring no more than 75 centimeters (29.5 inches) tall, 45 centimeters (17.7 inches) long, and 35 centimeters (13.78 inches) deep.
- Excess baggage: Anything beyond the checked baggage limits is considered excess baggage, for which you’ll have to pay $2.50 per additional kilogram up to 45 kilograms (99 pounds),... for which you'll be charged $50.
02 of 05
Based in Santiago, Chile, LATAM Airlines is one of the largest carriers in South America, with flights within Peru, Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, and Columbia. Formerly known as LAN Airlines South America, LATAM was originally founded in 1929 and went through several iterations and services during its long history of operations until eventually privatizing into a major passenger airline company in the 1990s. Baggage allowances for LATAM Airlines are as follows:
- Hand luggage: One piece, up to 8 kilograms (17 pounds), measuring no more than 55 centimeters (21.65 inches) tall, 35 centimeters (13.78 inches) wide, and 25 centimeters (9.8 inches) deep. Passengers can also carry one personal item.
- Checked baggage: Costs $12 for the first bag, $25 for the second bag for domestic flights in most of Peru. Bags exceeding 23 kilograms (50 pounds) are subject to excess charges.
- Excess baggage: For the third bag and any additional bags, passengers will be charged $70.
03 of 05
Formed from the merger of Avianca from Columbia and TACA from El Salvador in 2004, Avianca Holdings has headquarters in Bogota and several subsidiaries including Avianca Peru, which provides domestic flights between most of Peru's major cities. Luggage allowances on board Avianca flights include:
- Hand luggage: One piece, up to 10 kilograms (22 pounds) with a sum of its external dimensions (height + width + depth) not exceeding 115 centimeters. A small personal item is also allowed.
- Checked baggage: Free for one piece up to 23 kilograms (50 pounds) with a sum of its external dimensions not exceeding 158 centimeters (62 inches).
- Excess baggage: Larger than 158 centimeters (62 inches) and less than 230 centimeters (90.5 inches) total will be charged $60 per piece while each additional bag is $40.
04 of 05
Headquartered in Lima, Peruvian Airlines was founded in 2007 and provides flight routes to Arequipa, Cusco, Iquitos, Juaja, Piura, Pucallpa, Tacna, and Tarapoto in Peru and La Paz in Bolivia. Baggage allowances for Peruvian Airlines flights include:
Continue to 5 of 5 below.
- Hand luggage: One piece, up to 8 kilograms (17 pounds), with the exception of Lima to Cusco, where the limit is 5 kilograms (11 pounds), both measuring no more than 40 centimeters (15.75 inches) tall, 32 centimeters (12.6 inches) long, and 20 centimeters (7.87 inches) deep.
- Checked baggage: Free for up to 23 kilograms (50 pounds) between two pieces of luggage.
- Excess baggage: Charged $1.77 per additional kilogram
05 of 05
LC Perú is a domestic airline operating entirely within Peru with routes between Andahuaylas, Arequipa, Ayacucho, Cajamarca, Chiclayo, Cusco, Huánuco, Huaraz, Lima, Pucallpa, Tingo María, and Trujillo. Baggage allowances for LC Perú include:
- Hand luggage: One piece up to 5 kilograms (11 pounds) on Dash flights and 9 kilograms (20 pounds) on Boeing flights.
- Checked baggage: Free for up to 15 kilograms (33 pounds) on Dash flights and 30 kilograms (66 pounds) on Boeing flights.
- Excess baggage: Charged $2.50 per additional kilogram.