Do I Need a Hong Kong Visa?

Rules and Regulations for Hong Kong Visas

Passport- hong kong visa
••• ken_mayer/Flickr/CC BY 2.0

Many people ask 'do I need a visa for Hong Kong?' as they are confused about the difference between Hong Kong and China. The Hong Kong visa system is almost exactly the same as under British rule ten years ago, and wholly separate to the Chinese visa system.

Hong Kong treasures its place as an international hub of business, and top tourist destination. As such, it strives to make visa regulations as relaxed and simple as possible.

Nationals of the US, Europe, Australia and New Zealand don’t require a visa to enter Hong Kong for stays of 90 days, and six months for UK nationals. You will need six months validity on your passport. For a list of requirements for all countries see the Hong Kong Immigration Department website.

Immigration officials in HK all speak English and the whole process is designed to be as painless as possible, which it is. You will need to fill out an entry card on arrival, usually handed out on the plane. The entry card is given to immigration control, who will hand you back the carbon copy. This should be kept until you leave Hong Kong, as it needs to be given to immigration control, although if lost, you will simply need to fill out a new one.

Hong Kong officially states that you need a return ticket to visit the city, although in practice this is almost never enforced. Stating your intention to travel onwards to China is proof enough.

Although we certainly don’t advocate evading immigration controls for work purpose, if you need more than ninety days in the city, you can easily leave to Macau for the day and receive a further ninety days on your return.

If you plan to work or study in the city, you'll need to apply for a visa from your nearest Chinese embassy or consulate at the Hong Kong section.