Vero Beach is located on southeast Florida's "Treasure Coast," so named because of treasure found from numerous shipwrecks. The region is known for its beautiful beaches, surfing, and revived downtowns. (See southeast Florida on a map.)
Located on a barrier island off the coast of southeast Florida, 71-acre Disney's Vero Beach Resort is a gorgeous beachfront resort that features an inn, villas and beachfront cottages—all in the style of "Old Florida" grand beach hotels. The property operates as an upscale hotel and is also part of Disney's timeshare Vacation Club.
The location is a two-hour drive southeast of Orlando, and many guests arrive for a rest after busy days at the theme parks. The atmosphere is far from the bustle of Disney World, however. Expect a laid-back, relaxed vibe and slower pace. Disney theming is low-key, too.
Children's programming includes:
- Disney Discovery Club - Kids ages 4 to 12 can participate in scavenger hunts, arts and crafts, outdoor activities and fun programs that offer entertainment and adventure created especially for them.
- Teen Geo Challenge - Teens ages 13 to 19 can participate in a resort-wide scavenger hunt that uses GPS technology.
- TeeNightz - Teens ages 13 to 19 gather for an evening of sports, games, and trivia, as well as a private campfire.
Disney's Vero Beach Resort
Unsurprisingly, Disney's Vero Beach is great for families. Below are some of the features families will like:
- Beautiful beach
- Water sports hut with kayaks, boogie boards, Hobie cats, to rent
- Chairs and umbrellas for rent
- Large lagoon-style pool with a 163-foot waterslide
- Pirate Ship wet-deck
- Miniature golf
- Stargazing with Telescopes
- Disney character breakfasts
- Bike rentals, birding, campfires, and singalongs
- Animation and craft workshops
- Disney Discovery Club children's activity center
- Off-site excursions include a manatee watch; river cruises; golf; Florida Treasure Museum; Space Coast and Kennedy Space Center
- Seasonal sea turtle nesting education sessions
- Kids under 18 stay free in room with parents
- One and two-bedroom rooms have washer, dryer, kitchen
- Rooms have mini fridges and microwaves
- You can buy a refillable mug for drinks
Keep in mind that you'll have to take a short drive if you want to eat off-property. The nearest town is Vero Beach. You should expect a low-key, beach-focused atmosphere, which is a far cry from the razzle-dazzle of Disney World. You'll have to pay extra for beach chairs, boogie boards, and other sand and surf toys. Pack bug repellents for no-see-ums!
- Edited by Suzanne Rowan Kelleher