If you're looking for a mid-priced Disney World resort that has a convenient location, impressive pool area, and lots of dining choices and activities, Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort might be just the ticket.
This resort's price point puts it in Disney's "moderate" category, sandwiched between the least expensive "value" and more upscale "deluxe" categories.
Guests get to enjoy all the perks of staying at any Disney World Resort, including free wi-fi and parking, free access to the free Magical Express airport shuttle, free Disney transportation to theme parks, Extra Magic Hours, and the ability to plan your visit up to 60 days in advance of your stay using the My Disney Experience app and MagicBands.
This tropical-themed property has a convenient location in the Epcot area of Walt Disney Resort and also very close to Hollywood Studios and not far from the Typhoon Lagoon Water Park. Disney's bus shuttle service is available from the resort to each of the four theme parks, two water parks, and Disney Springs dining-and-entertainment district.
This colorful, sprawling resort features six villages named for Caribbean islands arranged around a large white-sand lake called Barefoot Bay. Note that no swimming allowed, though a 1.4-mile promenade circles around the lake and is good for walks, jogging, or biking.
A central hub, called Old Port Royale, offers a nice sit-down restaurant called Shutters at Old Port Royale, a cafeteria-style food court, shops, and an arcade. A highlight of the resort is the family-centric pool area, centered around an old Spanish citadel with a zero-entry pool that has two water slides, water cannons, and hot tubs.
Little kids under 4 feet tall can enjoy the nearby shipwreck play area, with its tipping barrel and three small slides.
Other on-site amenities include bike rentals, fishing, boat rentals (canoes, pedal-boats) and pirate cruises on the lake. There are also volleyball courts and a playground.
Fun evening activities include movies under the stars, where Disney flicks are screened for guests outdoors, and campfires with s'more roasting.
Caribbean Beach Resort is a great choice for young families of five. Accommodations are housed in attractive two-story units surrounded by lush vegetation. Each "village" has its own small pool, in addition to the feature pool at Old Port Royale.
Rooms are spacious and top-floor units have balconies. Even standard rooms feature two queen beds and a child-size pull-down Murphy-style bed, and the resort also offers more expensive pirate-themed rooms with a ton of incredible details.
- variety of dining options, including a restaurant to food court
- convenient location near Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Typhoon Lagoon
- lake activities ranging from boat rentals to fishing
- impressive pool with water slides and kiddie splash zone
- movies under the stars
- campfires with s'more roasting
- lakeside path for jogging or strolls
Keep in mind:
- This is a reasonably priced property that lets guests enjoy all the perks of a Disney World resort.
- Because even standard rooms feature child-size Murphy beds, this is a good option for families of five.
- This is a large resort and some of the accommodation villages are better positioned than others. If you want to be closer to the main hub of the resort, request a room in Martinique, Trinidad North, Jamaica or Aruba (the two latter are across the lake but easily accessible via pedestrian bridge). Trinidad South and Barbados require a farther walk to get to the restaurants, pool, and shop.
- There is a resort newsletter with useful info, including a map and info about scheduled activities.
- If you have a pirate-crazed kid, upgrading to a pirate-themed room can be one of the most memorable aspects of your stay.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodation for the purpose of review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy
- Edited by Suzanne Rowan Kelleher