Disneyland was the original theme park, the one all others took their inspiration from. After more than fifty years, you could call it the granddaddy of them all, still popular and for many, still the Happiest Place on Earth as Walt Disney called it.
The theme is simple: take a scene or a classic Disney story: Peter Pan's flight over London or Alice's trip to Wonderland and re-tell it in a ride. At Disneyland, you might find yourself looking for Nemo, careening wildly down the road with Mr. Toad or zipping through the Temple of Doom with Indiana Jones.
Disneyland California is a place designed to offer something to the whole family, with lots of rides gentle enough that the whole family can enjoy and only a few roller coasters that could be called tame by modern standards. Disneyland is the perfect place for a family getaway.
The Complete Disneyland
If you go to Disneyland without a plan and wait in line because you think you have to, it could take you 3 to 5 days to see it all, but if you know how-to, it's possible to have more fun in less time. Use our tips to minimize waiting and experience everything Disneyland has to offer in about a day and a half, or a little longer if you want to meet a lot of Disney characters and see all the shows.
10 Things You Need to Know
- How to get Tickets and Ticket Discounts: Where to buy and how to save as much as you can.
- When to Go: Tips for when to fin smaller crowds, the best decorations, and good weather.
- Where to Stay and Where to Eat: All the basic needs.
- Saving Money: Now, who doesn't want to do that?
- Weather and Packing: What to expect, what to bring.
- How to Stay Out of Line: Essential for having more fun.
- How to be a Smart Disneyland Visitor: A bunch of ways to have more fun with fewer hassles.
- How to Get to Disneyland: By car, from the airport, other transportation options.
- Meeting the Disney Characters: When and where, what to bring.
- Celebrating Birthdays, Christmas and Halloween at Disneyland.
- 11 Things You Didn't Know You Could Do at Disneyland: But you will want to!
Why All the Fuss?
We rate Disneyland 4.5 out of 5. Maybe it's the lingering effect of a baby boomer's childhood spent watching Walt Disney every Sunday night, but we're hooked, and judging from the smiles on the faces of the thousands of people we've seen there, so are a lot of other people. If it weren't for the crowds, we'd give it 5 out of 5.