You may need some help beating the Florida heat this month even though the calendar says spring, but May in Disney World sometimes feels more like summer. Expect some busy days at the start of the month, but things get more manageable as the month progresses. Also, expect busy weekends at Epcot as the park hosts one of its most popular events this month.
The popular and enduring Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival concludes at the end of the month, so look for special exhibits, events and shopping locations related to this event.
Of course, you won't want to miss the free workshops and concerts that highlight the weekends.
Although Star Wars Weekends will no longer be held this month, Star Wars fans won't want to miss the galaxy of fun at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Discover a whole new world of new and updated Star Wars experiences at the park as they gear up for the eventual opening of an all-new Star Wars-themed land.
Expect moderate crowds at the theme parks and resorts this month. Look for shorter lines and fewer crowds near the end of the month as U.S. schools begin to hold end of year events.
The Spring Break crowds will have moved on, so you won't have to wait quite so long to enjoy your favorite attractions. Use FastPass+ and the single rider line on attractions like Test Track to further reduce your wait.
- Don't miss the fun themed playgrounds and activities at the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival. Even if gardening is not your thing, you may enjoy the special exhibits pulled together for this event. If you are traveling with small children, look for the garden-themed playgrounds scattered in and around Future World.
- Use the Extra Magic Hours program to get the most of your trip, select parks open early or stay open late each day.
- Bring your bathing suit and plenty of sunblock, it will definitely be warm enough to swim in your resort pool this month.
Warnings and Cautions:
- Afternoon thunderstorms are a common occurrence this time of year, so pack a poncho and be prepared to get a little wet!
- Or, make plans ahead of the rain to visit Epcot and enjoy the Land Pavilion. You'll be high and dry as you ride Soarin' and grab a bite at the Sunshine Seasons food court.
- Use FastPass+ wisely. You may find you don't need them for attractions like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin or the Maelstrom this time of year. Save them for the big headlining rides like Splash Mountain and Soarin'.
Edited by Dawn Henthorn, Florida Travel Expert since June, 2000