The Brooklyn Museum is one of New York City's major museums, boasting a preeminent collection of Egyptian art, American art and a history of important, sometimes controversial special exhibits. This cultural institution, located near Prospect Park, Park Slope, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and Prospect Heights, is also host to the popular monthly First Saturday event.
Find out how to get to the Brooklyn Museum in Brooklyn, New York.
At a Glance
- Where: 200 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn
- Contact: (718) 638-5000
- Official website: Brooklyn Museum
- When: Wednesday-Sunday, 11 A.M.–6 P.M. Open late Thursdays, till 10 P.M. Free First Saturday events, open until 11 P.M. the first Saturday of every month.
Directions to the Brooklyn Museum By Subway & Bus
- Take the 2 or 3 to Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum. Transfers to the 2 and 3 are available from the 4 and 5 (at Nevins Street) and the B, D, Q, N, R, and LIRR (at Atlantic Avenue/Pacific Street). Check MTA service advisories for subway changes to the 2,3 routes, especially on weekends.
- By Bus B41 and B69 at Grand Army Plaza, B45 at St. Johns Place and Washington Avenue
Directions to the Brooklyn Museum By Car
- Brooklyn Bridge; first left at Tillary Street; right on Flatbush Avenue for approximately 1.5 miles to Grand Army Plaza; approximately 2/3 around Plaza; turn right on Eastern Parkway. The museum is at the first intersection (Eastern Parkway and Washington Avenue).
- Manhattan Bridge enters directly onto Flatbush Avenue. See above directions.
From Westchester, the Bronx, Queens, or Connecticut:
- Robert F. Kennedy Bridge (Triborough) to Brooklyn Queens Express (BQE)/Manhattan Bridge exit to Tillary Street, make a left onto Flatbush Avenue and proceed according to the directions from Manhattan.
From Staten Island and Southern or Central New Jersey:
- Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to Gowanus Expressway (Route 278 towards Manhattan); exit to 38th Street; left on Fourth Avenue for approximately 2 miles; right on Union Street; 5 blocks to Grand Army Plaza; go 1/2 around Plaza; turn right on Eastern Parkway. The museum is at the first intersection (Eastern Parkway and Washington Avenue).
From Northern or North-Central New Jersey:
- George Washington Bridge/Holland or Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan; follow directions from Manhattan.
From Long Island:
- Grand Central Parkway to Jackie Robinson Parkway; exit at Bushwick Avenue; left at third traffic light to Eastern Parkway; approximately 3 miles to Washington Avenue. The museum is across the intersection on the left.
Limited on-site parking is available in the patrolled lot at the rear of the Museum off Washington Avenue.
On Target First Saturdays there is a flat rate of $4 beginning at 5 p.m.
Bicycle racks can be found in the parking lot behind the Museum, next to the Sculpture Garden. Bicycles are parked at the owner's risk; the Museum does not accept responsibility for vandalism or theft.