01 of 03
Haunted Mansion Ride at Disneyland California
It took fifteen years to plan this quintessential Disneyland ride, which features a cast of busy ghosts in residence in a haunted "retirement home."
Disney Haunted Mansion gets gussied up for the holidays every year, its decor inspired by Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas." To get all this done, it closes in late September and again after January 1 so it can go back to normal.
In 2015, a long-missed ghost returned to the Haunted Mansion. The "Hatbox Ghost" shows up just after you leave the attic area - and he does a nifty little trick that involves his head and the box.
What You Need to Know About the Haunted Mansion
We polled 715 of our readers to find out what they think about Haunted Mansion. 90% of them said It's a must-do or ride it if you have time.
Continue to 2 of 3 below.
- Location: Haunted Mansion is in New Orleans Square
- Rating: ★★★★★
- Restrictions: No height restrictions. Children under age 7 years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older.
- Ride... Time: 19 minutes
- Recommended for: Everyone
- Fun Factor: High. Haunted Mansion is one of the best rides at Disneyland. Here's the rest of the list.
- Wait Factor: High. During the holidays only, you can use a Fastpass to shorten your time in line
- Fear Factor: Low, but there's a short period of darkness and noise in the expanding room after you get inside and before you enter the ride queue
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Low
- Seating: Ride vehicles are mounted to a moving sidewalk. You board by stepping onto the surface, then take a small step up into the vehicle. Each seat can hold two adults and a child, or three adults if you don't mind being close together. But really, don't try to cram three full-sized people into one Doom Buggy. It's a tight fit, and where will the ghost sit?
- Accessibility: If you're in a wheelchair, go to the front porch of the ride with everyone else, then ask a cast member for help. They will stop the Doom Buggy to let you get on. Service animals are not recommended on the Haunted Mansion ride. Pick up a handheld captioning device at Guest Relations. More about visiting Disneyland in a wheelchair or ECV
02 of 03
How to Have More Fun at the Disney Haunted Mansion
- Don't ask a Haunted Mansion cast member for a death certificate. You may have seen that so many times online that you think it must be true, but it isn't - and may have never been, the best I can tell.
- While standing in line, look for hidden Mickeys among the gravestones and on the hearse.
- The first few minutes in the Disney Haunted Mansion can be claustrophobic, as everyone crowds into the stretching room. You'll also experience about 5 seconds of complete darkness. Small children may be frightened.
- The song you may find running through your head after riding is called "Haunted Grim Grinning Ghosts." It was composed by Buddy Baker, with lyrics written by X Atencio.
- Haunted Mansion is one of the coolest places to go on a hot day at Disneyland. Literally. It may feel so good that you'll be hoping the ride stops for a minute so you can enjoy it.
Next Disneyland Ride: Pirates of the Caribbean
More About Disneyland Rides
You can see all the Disneyland rides at a glance... on the Disneyland Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, you're in the right place. Just keep following the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.Continue to 3 of 3 below.
03 of 03
Fun Facts About Disney Haunted Mansion
It seems like it's been there forever, but Disney Haunted Mansion opened in 1969, 14 years after Disneyland began.
One of the hardest parts about running Disney Haunted Mansion is keeping it looking grungy. Or so the Disneyland staff tell me. They have to bring in dust and cobwebs. Otherwise, the air conditioning system would suck them all out.
The clock in the long hallway is stuck at midnight, but only a few riders notice that a demon is eating the clock face - and its tail is the pendulum.
How many ghosts live inside the Haunted Mansion attraction in Disneyland park? 999
Is It Different than the Haunted Mansion in Florida?
California’s Haunted Mansion looks much different outside than the one in Florida, looming over you as you walk in. Inside, you’ll find a better-decorated boarding area.
Some of the scenes that are part of the Florida ride are in the California queue instead. You’ll find other fun differences and similarities throughout.
The most fun - and big - difference is that... California’s Haunted Mansion turns into Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas from October through December.
Next Disneyland Ride: Pirates of the Caribbean