All of the local television stations in the Raleigh-Durham area started broadcasting their programming using digital signals on June 12, 2009. These channels are free over the air and do not require any cable or satellite TV subscriptions. You can get these stations if your TV is equipped to get digital broadcasts. Since the Raleigh-Durham area is geographically large, you might need special antennas to capture some of these stations.
Raleigh-Durham's Local Digital TV Channels
- 4.1UNC-TV is Raleigh-Durham's PBS Station, based in Chapel Hill, with the main PBS broadcasts like "Frontline," "American Experience," "Nova" and "Masterpiece Theatre"; Explorer, which focuses on travel shows; and Rootle, which is the home of kids programming.
- 5.1 WRAL-TV, the Raleigh-Durham NBC affiliate, with NBC's national entertainment programming, like "Saturday Night Live," "Chicago Justice" and "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit"; news; and sports, along with local news, sports and weather.
- 11.1 WTVD-DT, Raleigh-Durham's ABC TV affiliate, with ABC national entertainment programming that includes "Scandal," "Modern Family" and "Grey's Anatomy"; news; and sports, along with local news, sports and weather.
- 17.1 WNCN-DT, Raleigh-Durham's CBS affiliate, with CBS national programming that includes "Blue Bloods," "NCIS" and "Madam Secretary"; news; and sports, along with local news, weather, and sports.
- 40.1 WUVC-DT, Raleigh-Durham's Univision TV affiliate, broadcasts in Spanish.
- 50.1 WRAZ-DT, is Raleigh-Durham's FOX TV affiliate, FOX50. It broadcasts Fox's national programming, "Tarheel Talk" and NASCAR racing.