I've tried a few different digital luggage scales, but the EatSmart Precision Voyager is one of the best.
How many times have I stood in the queue for check in at the airport counter and seen someone standing off to the side, frantically moving items to their carry-on bag because their checked luggage was a pound or two too heavy.
Digital luggage scales help to avoid the embarrassing scenario of repacking on the airport floor -- in full view of everyone -- in hopes to avoid expensive overweight luggage fees charged by the airlines.
- Bringing too much on a trip is a bad idea anyway. Here's how to avoid overpacking for a big trip.
The EatSmart Precision Voyager Digital Luggage Scale
The Precision Voyager is EatSmart's flagship entry into the digital luggage scale lineup. Strong, functional, and accurate, the little scale gets the job done -- and with style. Serious travelers will definitely enjoy adding this lightweight addition to their travel gadget arsenal.
With a price of $14.95, the Precision Voyager pays for itself if it helps you to avoid only one airline overweight baggage charge.
The Precision Voyager weighs accurately to a maximum of 110 pounds (50 kilograms) and does so in increments of .1 pound. Measurement units can be switched on the easy-to-read, back-lit display by pressing the "units" button on the front -- a plus for international travelers who encounter baggage limits listed in kilograms.
The rubberized handle on the Precision Voyager is soft and comfortable, and allows for two-handed lifting; a nice feature in case you overindulged on cheap bargains while shopping in Asia.
- Digital luggage scales make great gifts for frequent travelers! See 10 great gift ideas for travelers.
Features and Specifications
- Weight of the Scale: 5.5 ounces
Unlike other flimsy luggage scales that I have tried, the Precision Voyager feels like a solid piece of travel gear. Although the scale only weighs in at 5.5 ounces, some ultralight backpackers may find it a little weighty.
- Maximum Measurable Weight: 110 pounds or 50 kilograms
If you pack this much stuff, the airport baggage fees are probably the least of your worries!
- Battery: The Precision Voyager ships with a lithium "watch-style" battery already installed; replacement type: CR2032 3V. A handy, auto-turnoff feature extends battery life by shutting the unit down after 20 seconds.
- Interface: The Precision Voyager is as intuitive as you can make a digital luggage scale. A power button and a "units" button are all that you need to operate the device. A beep lets you know when something has changed, as well as when an accurate weight has been determined. Both buttons are recessed enough that there is little danger of them being pressed by accident while packed.
- Warranty: You get a two-year warranty with the Precision Voyager.
Things I Like About the Precision Voyager
- Solid construction; feels sturdy
- Ability to lift with two hands
- Can change between pounds and kilograms easily
- The soft, rubberized handle is comfortable
Room for Possible Improvement
- The strap isn't sewn to keep the buckle from sliding off easily
- The solid construction makes it a little weighty for ultralight packers
My only real complaint about this handy piece of travel hardware is the fact that the plastic buckle slides too easily off of the strap. A strategically placed stitch or two by the manufacturer would prevent this from happening.
Where to Get the Precision Voyager Digital Luggage Scale
The Precision Voyager digital luggage scale can be purchased directly from EatSmart on their tidy and informational website.
- Price: The Precision Voyager retails for $14.95; sometimes specials can be found online.
You can contact EatSmart with questions by dialing: 201-465-4381 from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
Disclosure: As is common in the travel industry, a review sample was provided by the manufacturer. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy.