These days, Segway tours are a staple of any vacation destination. They allow people to tour pathways usually reserved for foot traffic without expending any personal energy. Aside from providing an alternate mode of transportation in otherwise tight areas, Segways are just fun and different and definitely a ride. So, without further ado, here is a list of Detroit Segway tours and rentals.
01 of 05
Michigan Segway is actually the only Segway dealer in Michigan, but the dealership offers rentals, test rides, and leases.
- Prices and Details: Rentals are $65 an hour, $100 for two hours, $150 for four hours, $250 for eight hours, $800 a week, or $1,500 a month. There is a $75 delivery charge. Rentals require a 30-minute training session. Riders must be 18 years old and wear a helmet.
- Location and Contact Information: Michigan Segway is located at 25775 Meadowbrook Road in Novi, but rentals are also available from 801 Front Street in Bay Harbor.
02 of 05
Detroit: Inside Detroit's Segway Tours
Inside Detroit is a nonprofit organization devoted to showcasing the Motor City’s history, culture, and attractions. In addition to bus and walking tours, the organization now has guided Segway Tours.
- Downtown Detroit: Tour attractions include RiverWalk, the stadiums, and The Fox Theater. You can even go inside the Guardian Building. Tours are scheduled at 10 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Dequindre Cut: Tour attractions include Eastern Market, Lafayette Park and the Dequindre Cut. Tours start at 1 p.m. on Saturdays.
- Prices and Details: Both tours cost $65 a person/Segway. Riders complete an orientation before the tour.
03 of 05
Detroit: Southeast Michigan Segway
Southeast Michigan Segway provides both two-hour guided tours on the weekends and rentals during the week.
- Route: The tour route weaves in and out of Downtown Detroit, including RiverWalk, Hart Plaza, Spirit of Detroit Statue, Eastern Market, Campus Martius, the Theatre District, the Financial District, the Guardian Building, and the Penobscot Building.
- Prices and Details: The two-hour guided tours run at 1 PM each Saturday and Sunday. The cost is $60 a person/Segway. Riders must be at least 14 years old and weigh no more than 260 pounds. Segways can also be rented by the hour during the week (Tuesday through Friday) from 11 AM to 8 PM. The cost is $35 an hour. Riders watch a video and complete an orientation (10-15 minutes) before their ride and must wear a helmet.
- Location and Contact Information: The Segways tours start at the Elevator Building at 1938 Franklin Street.
04 of 05
My Seg Adventures offers self-guided tours (aka rentals) in Plymouth at lengths of a half-hour ride to a full 24-hour day.
Continue to 5 of 5 below.
- Route: Self-guided tours can ride by attractions in downtown Plymouth and/or along Hines Drive in Hines Park.
- Prices and Details: Rental fees are $30 a 1/2 hour, $50 an hour, $75 for two hours, $125 for four hours, $225 for eight hours, and $350 a day (24 hours). You must be at least 12 years old and weigh no more than 270 pounds. All riders must wear a helmet.
- Location and Contact Information: Segways are available for rental at The Green Store at 684 West Ann Arbor Trail, Building C in Plymouth.
05 of 05
Elsewhere in Michigan
There are several other locations throughout Michigan that offer Segway Tours or Rental, including:
- Grand Blanc: Group Segways
- Grand Rapids: Segway Tours of Grand Rapids