Planning any wedding can be nerve-wracking. When you want that wedding to take place at a destination away from home — one that you may not even see before the wedding — you owe it to yourselves to ask a lot of questions before you commit and sign a contract.
With that in mind, these are some of the questions to ask with once you've narrowed down the number of places you will consider to host your destination wedding:
Begin by emailing or phoning the hotel manager to ask:
- Do you hold destination weddings at your resort?
- Is there a dedicated wedding planner on site? Can she be reached by email?
- What services does your wedding planner provide? Is there a fee?
- How much time would we need to reserve our wedding in advance?
Staging a Destination Wedding
Questions to ask about the ceremony and reception:
- What private indoor and outdoor areas of the resort are available for a wedding? Are indoor spaces air-conditioned?
- How many people can each of them accommodate?
- Can you email me a layout and images of these places?
- Do you have an online photo gallery or can you email me pictures of other destination weddings that have taken place at your property?
- What do you offer in the way of decorations?
- What time of day do most destination weddings occur? Why?
- Will there be other weddings taking place during the same time as ours?
- If we want our wedding on the beach, what is the set-up?
Calculating the Cost of a Destination Wedding
Get a price estimate — and see if you can negotiate a better deal.
- What is the cost of a destination wedding at your resort, or is it included in the price of our stay?
- Do you offer a set destination wedding package, or do we choose the elements individually?
- Can you email a price list to me? Do you expect those prices to change by the date of my wedding?
- If I want to bring friends and family members, do you offer a discount on the price of rooms?
- Do you offer a complimentary bridal suite?
- How many guests are permitted at your standard destination wedding? What do you charge if we exceed that number?
- Do you require a down payment? How much? When is the balance due?
- What is your cancellation policy?
Destination Wedding Details
Add your own questions to this list.
- Who performs the ceremony at the destination weddings at your resort?
- What if we want a ceremony that honors a particular religion; can someone of that faith be provided?
- On the other hand, what if we want a non-religious ceremony?
- What do brides and grooms typically wear at your resort for destination weddings?
- Will someone be available to iron my wedding dress?
- Can I have my hair and makeup done on site?
- What do you do if I schedule an outside ceremony and reception -- and it rains?
- What type of flowers are available locally? Is there a florist on site?
- Is live music available? Can you email an mp3 file of your house musicians?
- Can we supply our own music on CD?
- Can you email me suggested menus for the reception?
- What can you supply in the way of a wedding cake?
- Do you provide photography/videography services? What is the cost and what do we get for that amount?
Destination Wedding Legalities
Every country has different marriage laws.
- What are the requirements to get a marriage license in your destination?
- Do we need proof of any medical tests?
- Is there someone who can handle the details for us and will guide us through the process?
- If we have to travel offsite to get the license, does your resort provide transportation?
- Are witnesses required?
For Folks Who Can't Attend Our Destination Wedding
Help them to be there in more than spirit.
- Can you make a webcam available during the ceremony?
- How long will it take to get our pictures back, and can they be quickly posted on an online album?
- What type of Internet access is available at your property?
Additional Destination Wedding Questions to Ask
It's your wedding. Ask away.
- Do you have a dedicated honeymoon suite? Can you show me what it looks like?
- Is there a private terrace or outdoor area where we can hold a rehearsal dinner?
- Is there a charge for guests to participate in sports at the resort?
- Can you arrange a special tour or activity for our guests?
- Do you mind me asking all these questions?
Help & Resources for Couples Planning a Destination Wedding
- Destination Weddings Headquarters
- What is a Destination Wedding?
- Destination Wedding Advice
- Destination Wedding Etiquette
- Getting Group Discount Airfares