The most popular way of getting from Delhi to Agra is by train. It's possible to visit the Taj Mahal in a day from Delhi if you catch the right trains. You can be there in 2 hours. Find out about the best trains from Delhi to Agra, and Agra to Delhi, here.
What You Should Know
- The main railway station in Delhi is New Delhi Railway Station (NDLS), near Paharganj.
- Trains to Agra also depart Delhi from Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station (NZM), which is about 20 minutes south of New Delhi Railway Station. This station is most convenient for those who are staying in south Delhi.
- The main railway station in Agra is Agra Cantonment (AGC).
- Trains are often delayed during the winter (December to March) due to fog.
Best Early Morning Delhi to Agra Trains
- These Delhi Agra trains all have chairs, not sleepers.
- The fastest morning train from Delhi to Agra is the new, non-stop 12050 Gatimaan Express. This train, which is India's first semi-high speed train, started operating on April 5, 2016. It travels at a top speed of 160 kilometers per hour, and takes one hour and 40 minutes to reach Agra. The train departs Delhi's Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station at 8.10 a.m. and arrives in Agra at 9.50 a.m. The fare in 1AC executive class (first class, seated, air conditioned) is 1,505 rupees. CC (chair car, seated, air conditioned) is 755 rupees. The train runs daily except Friday (when the Taj Mahal is closed). There is on-board catering, with both Indian and Continental cuisine served. The train also has hostesses and multi-media facilities. Its cleanliness, food, and ticket availability and are all excellent. Plus, it's the most punctual train with minimal delays. See train information.
- The second best option is the 12002 New Delhi Bhopal Shatabdi Express. This train has one stop. It departs New Delhi Railway Station at 6 a.m. and arrives at Agra at 7.57 a.m. The fare in 1AC executive class (first class, seated, air conditioned) is 1,050 rupees. CC (chair car, seated, air conditioned) is 555 rupees. The train runs every day. Its ticket availability is excellent and cleanliness good. However, it's known to reach Agra up to 30 minutes late. See train information.
- The 12280 Taj Express Superfast from Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station to Agra is also popular. It departs at 7.00 a.m. and arrives in Agra at 9.38 a.m. The fare in CC is 370 rupees. 2S (second class, seated, non air conditioned) is 100 rupees. The train has three stops and runs every day. It also has excellent ticket availability. The only issue is that punctuality can be an issue, with delays of up to 1.5 hours in arrival time. See train information.
Best Late Afternoon Agra to Delhi Trains
- These Agra Delhi all have chairs, not sleepers.
- The 12049 Gatimaan Express departs from Agra at 5.50 p.m., daily except Friday. It arrives at H Nizamuddin Railway Station in Delhi at 7.30 p.m. It's the fastest and most punctual train from Agra to Delhi. See train information.
- The 12279 Taj Express Superfast returns to Delhi from Agra at 6.55 p.m. daily (although it often reaches Agra more than an hour late, as it comes from Jhansi). It arrives at H Nizamuddin Railway Station at 10.05 p.m. See train information.
- The 12001 Bhopal New Delhi Shatabdi Express departs Agra at 9.15 p.m. and arrives at New Delhi Railway Station at 11.30 p.m. daily. However, the train runs up to 2 hours late, as it originates from Bhopal. See train information.
Other Delhi to Agra Trains
There are many other sleeper trains that run from Delhi to Agra, and vice-versa, during the day. These trains can be found here (Delhi to Agra) and here (Agra to Delhi), or by searching the Indian Railways website. However, the trains listed above are the most reliable.
For more information, see How to a Make Reservation on Indian Railway Trains.
A Word of Warning: Dangers and Annoyances
When arriving at Agra station, be prepared to be accosted by beggars and touts. Touts operate in sophisticated gangs that have counterparts in other cities who identify potential targets at railway stations. At Agra, the touts commonly claim to be guides or taxi drivers, and use ploys such as free taxi rides or the promise of heavy discounts. There are 24 hour official prepaid auto rickshaw and taxi booths just outside Agra railway station. Use them to avoid much hassle. Read more in this Essential Guide to Visiting the Taj Mahal.