The most popular way of getting from Delhi to Agra is by train. It's possible to visit the Taj Mahal in a day from Delhi if you catch the right trains. You can be there in two hours. Find out about the best trains from Delhi to Agra, and Agra to Delhi, here.
What You Should Know
- The main railway station in Delhi is New Delhi Railway Station (NDLS), near Paharganj.
- Trains to Agra also depart Delhi from Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station (NZM), which is about 20 minutes south of New Delhi Railway Station. This station is most convenient for those who are staying in South Delhi.
- The main railway station in Agra is Agra Cantonment (AGC).
- Trains are often delayed during the winter (December to March) due to fog.
- Tickets under the Foreign Tourist Quota can be booked in person at the International Tourist Bureau at New Delhi Railway Station. It's located upstairs in the main building (Paharganj side) and is open 24 hours. Don't believe anyone who tells you that it has moved or is closed because they are trying to scam you.
- Refer to this Guide to Classes of Travel on Indian Railways if you're unfamiliar with the accommodations on Indian Railways.
- For information about booking, see How to a Make Reservation on Indian Railway Trains.
Best Early Morning Delhi to Agra Trains
- These Delhi to Agra trains all have chairs, not sleepers.
- The fastest morning train from Delhi to Agra is the new, non-stop 12050 Gatimaan Express. This train, which is India's first semi-high speed train, started operating on April 5, 2016. It travels at a top speed of 160 kilometers per hour, and takes one hour and 40 minutes to reach Agra. The train departs Delhi's Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station at 8.10 a.m. and arrives in Agra at 9.50 a.m. The fare in 1AC executive class (first class, seated, air conditioned) is 1,495 rupees. CC (chair car, seated, air conditioned) costs 750-993 rupees, with the fare based on dynamic pricing according to demand. The train runs daily except Friday (when the Taj Mahal is closed). There is on-board catering, with both Indian and Continental cuisine served. The train also has hostesses and multi-media facilities. Its cleanliness, food, and ticket availability and are all excellent. Plus, it's a punctual train with minimal delays. See train information.
- If you want to get an early start, the best option is the 12002 New Delhi Habibganj Shatabdi Express. This train has one stop. It departs New Delhi Railway Station at 6 a.m. and arrives at Agra at 7.57 a.m. The fare in 1AC executive class (first class, seated, air conditioned) is 1,010 rupees. CC (chair car, seated, air conditioned) costs 505-673 rupees, based on dynamic pricing. The train runs every day. Its ticket availability and punctuality are excellent, and cleanliness is good. See train information.
- The 12280 Taj Express Superfast from New Delhi Railway Station to Agra is also popular (and it stops at Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station too) but the trip takes nearly three hours. It departs at 6.45 a.m. and arrives in Agra at 9.32 a.m. The fare in CC is 375 rupees. 2S (second class, seated, non air conditioned) is 105 rupees. The train has four stops and runs every day. It has excellent ticket availability. Punctuality and cleanliness are good. There's no pantry or onboard catering through. See train information.
- Alternatively, try the 22416 Andhra Pradesh AC Super Fast Express if you'd prefer sleeper accommodations. This train departs from New Delhi Railway Station at 6.25 a.m. and arrives at Agra at 9 a.m. It's fully air-conditioned, runs daily and doesn't have any stops. However, delays are sometimes an issue. The fare is 1,180 rupees in AC First Class, 725 rupees in 2AC, and 540 rupees in 3AC. See train information.
Best Late Afternoon Agra to Delhi Trains
- These Agra to Delhi trains all have chairs, not sleepers.
- The 12049 Gatimaan Express departs from Agra at 5.50 p.m., daily except Friday. It arrives at Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station in Delhi at 7.30 p.m. It's the fastest and most punctual train from Agra to Delhi. See train information.
- The 12279 Taj Express Superfast returns to Delhi from Agra at 6.40 p.m. daily (although it often reaches Agra up to an hour late, as it comes from Jhansi). It arrives at Hazrat Nizamuddin Railway Station at 9.51 p.m. and New Delhi Railway station at 10.25 p.m. See train information.
- The 12001 Habibganj New Delhi Shatabdi Express departs Agra at 9.16 p.m. and arrives at New Delhi Railway Station at 11.30 p.m. daily. However, the train usually runs late as it originates from Bhopal. See train information.
Other Delhi to Agra Trains
There are many other sleeper trains that run from Delhi to Agra, and vice-versa, during the day. These trains can be found by searching the Indian Railways website. However, the trains listed above are the most reliable.
A Word of Warning: Dangers and Annoyances
When arriving at Agra station, be prepared to be accosted by beggars and touts. Touts operate in sophisticated gangs that have counterparts in other cities who identify potential targets at railway stations. At Agra, the touts commonly claim to be guides or taxi drivers, and use ploys such as free taxi rides or the promise of heavy discounts. There are 24 hour official prepaid auto rickshaw and taxi booths just outside Agra railway station. Use them to avoid much hassle. Read more in this Essential Guide to Visiting the Taj Mahal.