Spain is famous for its sun, but this is European winter we're talking about now. So what will the weather be like in Madrid? If only I had a weather service that could predict the weather several months in advance - I'd be rich! Most people when forecasting the weather so far ahead use average temperatures to help them, but averages only tell half the story. On this page you will see actual weather conditions in recent years to give you a better idea of the weather you can expect.
What's wrong with averages? Because weather is rarely average. You can't get an idea of how warm it might be, or how the temperatures might fall with averages. And if it rained ever on a particular, then the 'average' for that day would be 'some rain'.
What Weather to Prepare for in Madrid in December
As you can see below, the weather in stays mild throughout December, with temperatures usually around 10°C in the daytime, approaching zero but rarely falling below it at night.
Madrid in Early-December: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
The weather in early December tends to stay around 10°C (50°F) in the day time, dropping at night (but rarely below zero), though you might be lucky and get an occasional day that creeps a little higher. Madrid is a very dry city and even in December you are unlikely to get much rain.
Barcelona is considerably warmer in December. Read more about December Weather in Barcelona
- December 5 Averages High: 9°C. Low: 1°C.
- December 5 Records High: 15°C. Low: -3°C.
- December 5, 2012 High: 10°C. Low: 2°C. No rain.
- December 5, 2011 High: 13°C. Low: 0°C. No rain.
- December 5, 2010 High: 6°C. Low: 1°C. No rain.
Events in December in Madrid: For Christmas markets and other outdoor festivities in Madrid, see Christmas in Madrid.
Madrid in Mid-December: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
It doesn't really get much colder as we head deeper into December and Madrid tends to stay dry.
- December 15 Averages High: 9°C. Low: 0°C.
- December 15 Records High: 15°C. Low: -7°C.
- December 15, 2012 High: 13°C. Low: 10°C. No rain.
- December 15, 2011 High: 12°C. Low: 5°C. No rain.
- December 15, 2010 High: 7°C. Low: 0°C. No rain.
Madrid in Late-December: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
You won't get a white Christmas in Madrid - in recent years it has hardly rained and the temperatures haven't been low enough. But it is colder at night then it has been, so definitely bring a good jacket!
- December 25 Averages High: 9°C. Low: -1°C.
- December 25 Records High: 15°C. Low: -6°C.
- December 25, 2012 High: 11°C. Low: 3°C. Very light rain (0.3mm).
- December 25, 2011 High: 16°C. Low: -3°C. No rain.
- December 25, 2010 High: 7°C. Low: -1°C. No rain.
Source: Weather Underground Almanac