Old Town Trolley Tours are a convenient way to explore Washington, DC, especially for a first time visitor. You can explore the nation’s capital and its many attractions at your own pace using "Hop on - Hop off" privileges at 17 stops around the city. Old Town Trolleys operate from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (4:30 p.m. in winter) and make stops at each designated location every 30 minutes. No reservations are required and you can board at any stop and reboard for free all day long.
Old Town Trolley tours provide a narrated tour, highlighting the history and interesting facts of over 100 points of interest. The tour includes Washington's major attractions such as the Smithsonian Institution, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, Georgetown, Washington National Cathedral, the White House, and much more.
Trolley Tours can be a great way to see a lot of the city in a short period of time. Note that during busy times of the year, they may be crowded and you may spend too much time waiting and traveling to places you may not really want to see. For the best experience, start early in the day and plan ahead where you want to stop.
Old Town Trolley Routes
- National Mall and Downtown - Orange Loop - Stops at the 17 main attractions including the Smithsonian Museum buildings, the National Monuments and Memorials, the U. S. Capitol and Supreme Court buildings.
- Hotels - Green Loop - Loops uptown hotels and the Trolley Welcome Center
- Arlington National Cemetery Shuttle - Red Loop - This route shuttles between the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington National Cemetery
You may transfer from one loop to another. The transfer point for the Arlington Cemetery Shuttle is at the Lincoln Memorial. The transfer point for the other routes is at the Washington Welcome Center at 10th and E Sts. NW.
Old Town Trolley Tickets
$29 Children ages 4-12
Children under 4 are free
Ticket Booths are also located at the following locations:
- Union Station, 50 Massachusetts Ave. NE. Open 8 am - 9 pm daily. (Parking is available here)
- Washington Welcome Center, 1001 E St NW, Open 9 am - 3 pm
- Shops at Georgetown Park, (lower level info booth) Spring and Summer only
- White House Visitor Center, Spring and Summer only
Stop Locations With Nearby Parking
- Washington Welcome Center -901 E Street NW
- Union Station - 50 Massachusetts Ave. NE - Map
- US Capitol - 321 Virginia Ave. SW
- National Air and Space Museum - 500 C Street SW - Map
- Smithsonian - 480 L’Enfant Plaza
- Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington Cemetery Parking Garage
- The White House - Ronald Reagan Building, 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue
- National Archives - 601 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
- Mayflower Hotel - 1100 Connecticut Ave. NW
- Washington Hilton - 1825 Connecticut Ave.
- National Zoo - 2519 Connecticut Ave. NW
- National Cathedral - 3101 Wisconsin Ave NW
- Decatur House - 1666 K Street NW
- Grand Hyatt/Chinatown - 977 G Street NW
Official Website: www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc
For more information, see Sightseeing Tours in Washington DC (Which One is Best?)