The DC Circulator provides inexpensive, frequent bus service around Washington DC. This relatively new bus service increases the accessibility to Washington, DC attractions and makes it easier for visitors, federal workers, and local residents to get around the downtown area. The DC Circulator is a partnership among DDOT, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), and DC Surface Transit, Inc. Since its launch in 2005, the Circulator has grown substantially, supplementing Metro’s bus and rail service and connecting many of DC’s neighborhoods and activity centers. Each route has different hours, each based on the demand for the area. (Note hours below are subject to change)
DC Circulator Routes
- National Mall - This route starts at Union Station, travels along Louisiana Avenue, NE, and loops around the National Mall via Madison Drive, SW; Constitution Avenue, NW; West Basin Drive, SW; Ohio Drive, SW; and Jefferson Drive, SW. The service has 15 stops, steps away from the most popular District attractions including the Lincoln Memorial, Thomas Jefferson Memorial, Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History and National Museum of American History, National Gallery of Art and the U.S. Capitol. Hours: (October -March ): Weekdays 7am - 7pm; Weekends 9am - 7pm;
- (April-September): Weekdays 7am - 8pm; Weekends 9am - 7pm.
- Dupont Circle - Georgetown - Rosslyn - The route begins at 19th Street NW and N Street. in Dupont Circle, travels along M Street stopping several times along the way to Georgetown and then on to the Rosslyn Metro station where it loops in the opposite direction. Hours: Sunday – Thursday: 7 am-Midnight; Friday and Saturday: 7am - 2 am.
- Georgetown – Union Station - The bus begins at Wisconsin Ave and 35th Street, travels along Wisconsin to M Street to Pennsylvania Avenue to K Street, New York Avenue and along Massachusetts Avenue to Union Station where it stops on the bus level of the parking garage, accessible from the mezzanine level of the station. Hours: Daily: 7 am - 9 pm.
- Union Station – Navy Yard - This route begins at Columbus Circle in front of Union Station and travels through Capitol Hill to the Navy Yard at New Jersey Ave and M Street. Hours: (October -March ): Weekdays 6am - 7pm; (April -September ): Weekdays 6am - 9pm
- Saturdays 7am - 9pm.
- Woodley Park – Adams Morgan - McPherson Square - This route begins at Connecticut Avenue and 24th Street and proceeds through Adams Morgan ending at McPherson Square. Hours: Sunday - Thursday: 7am - Midnight; Friday and Saturday: 7am - 3:30am
Cost and Payment Options
The circulator bus costs $1 a ride, $.50 for seniors.
- Cash - Exact change
- SmarTrip Card - Metro's farecard
- Transfer from Metrobus or between Circulator buses for free for up to two hours
- Purchase tickets ahead at fare meters or parking meters at the Circulator bus stops. Machines accept change or credit cards