There's something special about a good old-fashioned county fair. The counties of Maryland and Virginia that surround Washington, DC each host a summer fair, complete with carnival rides, live animal shows, musical entertainment, arts and craft exhibits, contests, educational exhibits and lots of food. Each county fair has its own specialty and unique attractions. Many of them showcase regional agriculture and home arts with hands-on-activities for the whole family. Here is a guide to Summer 2018 county fairs:
- Howard County Fair - August 4-11, 2018. Howard County Fairgrounds, 2210 Fairgrounds Rd. W., Friendship, MD. (410) 442-1022. Carnival rides, live music, farm animals, food.
- Montgomery County Agricultural Fair - August 10–18, 2018. Montgomery County Fairgrounds, 16 Chestnut St., Gaithersburg, MD. (301) 926-3100. Livestock competitions and displays, monster trucks, lots of entertainment and food.
- Prince George’s County Fair - Sept. 6-9, 2018. Show Place Arena, 14900 Pennsylvania Ave Upper Marlboro. MD. Carnival rides, live animals displays, family circus, fireworks, live entertainment, food.
- Anne Arundel County Fair - September 12-16, 2018. Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds, Generals Highway, Crownsville, MD. (410) 923-3400. Monster truck rides, carnival rides and games, farm animals and exhibits, pig races, antique saw mill, pie eating contest, talent show and much more.
- Charles County Fair - September 13-16, 2018. Charles County Fairgrounds, 8440 Fairgrounds Road. La Plata, MD. (301) 932-1234. Farm animals, displays, demonstrations, food, entertainment, carnival rides, games and activities for all ages.
- Great Frederick Fair - September 14-22, 2018. Frederick Fairgrounds, 797 E. Patrick St., Frederick, MD. (301) 663-5896. Musical entertainment, tractor pulls, equine expo and showcase, agricultural events, food. The fair has a storied history, dating back to the 1820s.
- Calvert County Fair - Sept. 26-Sept. 30, 2017. Calvert County Fairgrounds, 140 Calvert Fair Rd. Prince Frederick, MD. (410) 535-0026. Farm animals, exhibits, musical, entertainment, food, carnival rides, contests and a 4H auction.
Northern Virginia Fairs
- Fauquier County Fair - July 11-14, 2018. Fauquier County Fairgrounds, 6209 Old Auburn Road Warrenton, VA. (540) 341-7950. Livestock, rabbits, poultry, produce, homemade arts and crafts, animal shows, contests, games, demonstrations, homegrown dinner and music.
- Loudoun County Fair - July 23-28, 2018. Loudoun County Fairgrounds, 17564 Dry Mill Rd., Leesburg, VA. (703) 777-3835. Carnival, rodeo-bull riding, farm animals and demonstrations, magic acts, live musical entertainment and food.
- Fairfax County 4 H Fair - August 2-5, 2018. Frying Pan Park, 2709 W. Ox Rd., Herndon, VA. (703) 324-5203. Farm animals, children’s rides and a pie-eating contest. Free Admission.
- Prince William County Fair - August 10-18, 2018. Prince William County Fairgrounds, Rt. 234, Manassas, VA. (703) 368-0173. Virginia’s largest county fair. Carnival rides, barn shows, live entertainment and attractions for all ages.
- Arlington County Fair - August 15-19, 2018. Thomas Jefferson Community Center, 3501 S. Second St., Arlington, VA. (703) 920-4556. Pig and goat races, pony rides, carnival rides, international foods, crafts. Free Admission.