01 of 07
The Cooper-Young District
From the late 1800's to the early 1900's, the Cooper-Young District was a thriving residential neighborhood. By the 1970's, however, many of the once beautiful homes were in a dismal state of disrepair and most of the area businesses stood empty. In 1976, the Cooper-Young Community Association was formed. This group began efforts to revitalize the neighborhood by reducing crime, restoring homes, and attracting businesses. Thanks to these efforts, Cooper-Young is now a thriving community known for its historical significance and diverse culture.
North: Central Avenue
South: Southern Avenue
East: East Parkway
West: McLean Boulevard
Cooper-Young lies in the 38104 zip code.
The estimated number of households in Cooper-Young was 1,600 in the year 2000.Continue to 2 of 7 below.
02 of 07
Dining in Cooper-Young
One of the things that sets Cooper-Young apart from other neighborhoods is its impressive array of unique restaurants. If you want a meal from O'Charley's or Burger King, you won't find it in this area. Instead, check out these ecclectic dining options.
Continue to 3 of 7 below.
- The Beauty Shop -- 966 South Cooper Street
- Buns on the Run -- 2150 Elzey Avenue
- Cafe Ole -- 959 South Cooper Street
- Casablanca Cafe -- 2156 Young Avenue
- Celtic Crossing Irish Pub -- 903 South Cooper Street
- Central BBQ -- 2249 Central Ave
- Dish -- 948 South Cooper Street
- Jasmine Thai & Vegetarian Restaurant -- 916 South Cooper Street
- Java Cabana -- 2170 Young Avenue
- Otherlands -- 641 South Cooper Street
- Pie in the Sky -- 2149 Young Avenue
- Soul Fish Cafe -- 862 South Cooper Street
- Tsunami -- 928 South Cooper Street
- Young Avenue Deli -- 2119 Young Avenue
03 of 07
Shopping and Services in Cooper-Young
Are you looking for a vintage jacket or a custom piece of art? What about a psychic reading or a pet cat? You can find all of those things and a lot more at the unique shops in Cooper-Young.
- Gary's Antiques -- 2158 Central Avenue
- Ivy's Antiques and Interiors -- 2266 Central Avenue
- Palladio Antiques and Art -- 2169 Central Avenue
- Second Hand Rose Antiques -- 2288 Central Avenue
- Toad Hall Antiques -- 2129 Central Avenue
Art Galleries and Studios
- Carved Designs -- 884 South Cooper Street
- David Mah Studio -- 888 South Cooper Street
- Exhibit A -- 2224 Central Avenue
- Painted Planet Artspace -- 2158 Young Avenue
Books and Music Shops
- Burke's Book Store -- 936 South Cooper Street
- Memphis Drum Shop -- 878 South Cooper Street
- Xanadu Music and Books -- 2200 Central Avenue
- Flashback -- 2304 Central Avenue
- Light Years Vintage -- 885 South Cooper Street
- Lux -- 906 South Cooper Street
Pets and Pet Services
- Central Animal Hospital -- 2192 Central Avenue
- Dog's Rule Day Care and School -- 2265 Central Avenue
- House of Mews -- 933 South Cooper Street
- Memphis Animal Clinic -- 733 East Parkway South
Continue to 4 of 7 below.
- Bella Notte -- 2172 Young Ave
- The Drapery Studio -- 2231 Central Avenue
- Fred Remmers Oriental Rugs -- 2186 Central Avenue
- Inz & Outz -- 553 South Cooper Street
- Mothersville -- 800 South Cooper Street
- Party Concepts -- 2197 Central Avenue
- Spiritual Reader and Advisor -- 889 South Cooper Street
- The White Gardenia -- 820 South Cooper Street
04 of 07
Things to Do in Cooper-Young
If you are looking for entertainment, Cooper-Young is the place to go. From live music to art exhibits, festivals to parks, there is something for everyone.
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- Nightlife -- Many Cooper-Young restaurants, such as Celtic Crossing and Dish, double as evening nightspots offering full bars, live music, and even dancing. The neighborhood's coffee shops also offer live music on a regular basis.
- The Cooper-Young Festival -- The Cooper-Young Festival is a day long event held annually in the fall. It features live music, arts, crafts, and other vendors.
- Taste of Cooper-Young -- This annual progressive dinner gives guests a chance to sample food and drinks from a variety of Cooper-Young restaurants.
- Memphis Gay and Lesbian Community Center, 892 South Cooper Street -- The center hosts numerous GLBT events and resources and is a great starting point if you want to get involved in the local GLBT community.
- Peabody Park, 2135 Higbee Avenue -- Though technically just across the northern boundary of Cooper-Young, this is a popular destination for many of the neighborhood's residents. The park offers a walking path, playground, and community center.
05 of 07
Cooper Young Schools
There are a number of schools in the 38104 zip code. Children are assigned to a particular school based on their street address. Below are the Memphis City Schools in the area:
- Bellevue Junior High School -- 575 South Bellevue
- Bruce Elementary School -- 1206 Carr Avenue
- Central High School -- 306 South Bellevue
- Maxine Smith STEAM Academy -- 750 East Parkway South
- Idlewild Elementary School -- 1950 Linden Avenue
- Peabody Elementary School -- 2086 Young Avenue
- Snowden School -- 1870 North Parkway
Private schools in the area include:
Continue to 6 of 7 below.
- Cendrillon Montessori School -- 1642 Poplar Avenue
- Christian Brothers University -- 650 East Parkway South
- Grace St. Luke's School -- 246 South Belvedere
- Immaculate Conception Grade School -- 1669 Central
- Immaculate Conception Middle & High School -- 1725 Central
- Memphis Catholic High School -- 61 N Mclean Boulevard
- Mississippi Boulevard Christian Academy -- 1255 Poplar Avenue
06 of 07
Places of Worship in Cooper-Young
Like Memphis as a whole, there are plenty of places to worship in Cooper-Young. These places include churches of various denominations with a wide range of worship styles.
Continue to 7 of 7 below.
- Abundant Life Temple -- 1636 Lamar Avenue
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception -- 1695 Central Avenue
- Central Christian Church -- 531 South McLean Boulevard
- Community Bible Church -- 650 New York Street
- Divine Temple Church of God in Christ -- 1915 Young Avenue
- First Congregational Church -- 1000 South Cooper Street
- Galloway United Methodist Church -- 1015 South Cooper Street
- Grace-St. Lukes Episcopal Church -- 1720 Peabody Avenue
- Liberty’s Mass Baptist Church -- 1928 Southern Avenue
- Memphis Friends Meeting (Religious Society of Friends) -- 917 South Cooper Street
- Peabody Baptist Church -- 1754 Peabody Avenue
- Word of Truth MB Church -- 775 Tanglewood Street
07 of 07
City Services and Government in Cooper-Young
Cooper Young is located within the Memphis city limits. It is, therefore, protected by the city's emergency services and governed by the mayor and city council of Memphis. Here are some quick government and city services facts, as they pertain to Cooper-Young.
- Emergency Services -- Dial 911
- Fire Station -- Cooper-Young's neighborhood fire station is number 7, located at 1017 Jefferson.
- Police Precinct -- Cooper-Young is in the Memphis Police Department's West Precinct, located at 1925 Union Avenue.
- City Council District -- Most of Cooper-Young is in Memphis City Council's District 4 and in Super District 8.
- Tennessee Congressional District -- Residents of Cooper-Young live in the state's 9th Congressional district.
- Garbage Collection -- Garbage in Cooper-Young is collected by Memphis' Solid Waste Management Department. Click here to find out your collection day.