Just over the bridge from Old San Juan and Puerta de Tierra, Condado is a fashionable place to call home. Cartier, Louis Vuitton, and Ferragamo are among the names you'll see on the storefronts here. Sophisticated bistros and restaurants draw lively crowds at night. And the beach is always popular. Interestingly, Condado's hotels don't follow the high-end trend; you can find great deals that put you in the heart of San Juan's ritziest neighborhood.
Where to Stay:
Condado has a mix of mid-range hotels, inns and bed & breakfasts.
- At Wind Chimes Inn headlines this list, my favorite hotel in Condado and one of its best bargains.
- Acacia Seaside Inn is a pleasant boutique hotel steps away from the beach.
- The Condado Plaza Hotel & Casino is a well-known, large hotel with a great casino.
- The Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino is a family-friendly place with a great casino.
Where to Eat:
Fine dining, eclectic fusion, international flavors ... you'll find it all in Condado.
- One of the best Latin-Asian fusion restaurants on the island is chef Roberto Treviño's Budatai.
- Perla is among the most beautiful dining experiences in the city; located in the beautiful La Concha Resort, it's the hotel's flagship fine dining institution.
- Treviño strikes again with Bar Gitano, his take on traditional Spanish cuisine.
- Bangkok Bombay has, surprisingly, equally good Indian and Thai menus, and wicked lychee martinis.
- Yerba Buena is a lively place that brings Cuba to Condado.
What to See and Do:
Condado's entertainment is centered on three main activities: shopping (see below), the justly popular Condado Beach, and the casinos.
Two of my favorite casino hotels in San Juan are here. The neighborhood is also home to several small parks, urban oases that make for a pleasant break when you're out shopping.
Where to Shop:
This is where Condado shines. Check out some of the brand names you'll find on Ashford Avenue, the Puerto Rican equivalent of Fifth Avenue:
- Louis Vuitton
Other boutiques worth visiting:
- Nono Maldonado is one of the island's best designers of menswear and women's clothing (1112 Ashford Avenue, 787-721-0456).
- David Antonio is another well-known and internationally respected local designer.
- Cristobal stocks Versace and other high-end luggage and accessories (787-721-8393).
- Monsieur specializes in sophisticated menswear (787-722-0918).
- Mademoiselle carries well-known European labels (787-728-7440).
Where to Go Out at Night:
Beyond the casinos and restaurants that stay open late into the night, you have few nightlife options in this neighborhood:
- Eternal, the lobby-level lounge at the Conrad Condado Plaza is one of the hottest late-night hangouts in the neighborhood.
- Equally stylish and chic is the lobby bar at the La Concha Resort.
- Kali, an Eastern-themed lounge and restaurant, doesn't get going until 2 am (787-721-5104).