Coed softball is a cherished tradition in St. Louis. Once the weather’s warm enough, young adults (and sometimes not-so-young adults) take to the ball fields on evenings after work or on Sunday afternoons. Some softball leagues are fairly competitive and demand the best of their team, but most exist for more social reasons and invoke more friendly play.
Finding a softball league can be a bit daunting, as many leagues recruit teams successfully just by word-of-mouth. So if you’re looking to join a team, but aren’t sure where to play, here’s a list of some of the more popular coed slow-pitch softball leagues in the greater St. Louis region.
Single-game recreational leagues are played at four parks in the South St. Louis area. Parks include Tilles, Lindenwood, Francis, and Willmore.
The St. Louis Softball League
Many of the leagues are competitive, but there are also a few recreational teams. Single or double-header leagues are offered and played at Forest Park or several South City parks, including Arsenal, Berra, Carondelet, Lindenwood, Lyon, Tilles, and Willmore parks.
St. Louis Sports Monster Softball
Single-game leagues offered at two locations, Field #5 at Jefferson Barracks, off of Cy Road, and at the JCCA in Creve Coeur, near the intersection of Lindbergh and Olive Boulevards. Leagues are open to full teams, partial teams, or individuals looking to be placed on a recreational team.
City of Webster Groves, Missouri
Single-game recreational league is played at Blackburn Park. Located at the corner of Edgar and E. Jackson Roads.
Single or double-header league played at St. Ferdinand Park. Located north of the intersection of Lindbergh Blvd. and Patterson Rd. Both recreational and intermediate leagues are available.
City of Chesterfield, Missouri
The single-game recreational league played at the Chesterfield Valley Athletic Complex, 17925 North Outer 40 Road.
City of Brentwood, Missouri
The City of Brentwood offers another recreational league that plays single games in Brentwood Park, 9100 Russell Avenue.
Single or double-header league, played at Shaw Park, adjacent to Brentwood Blvd., just north of Forest Park Parkway.
- Number of Games: Single game leagues play eight games, plus a single-elimination playoff tournament. Double-header league plays for six weeks, plus a single-elimination playoff tournament.
- Day and Time of Games: Single game leagues play Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays. Double-header league plays Tuesdays. All games (single or double-header) are held hourly from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
- Lighted Fields: Yes
- Skill Level: Open Level (Sunday), Competitive (Monday), and Recreational (Wednesday) leagues available.
- Registration Period for New Teams: February 1 through two weeks prior to the first game
- Contact Information: David Willey at 314-290-8508 or firstname.lastname@example.org (as of January 2020).