Halloween in Cleveland needn't be scary -- or unsafe. The area offers a host of family-friendly activities to suit any little ghost or princess. (updated for 2016)
- September 19 - November 2 - Weekends - Halloweekends at Cedar Point, special attractions, costumed characters, food, treats, and a parade; Fridays from 6pm until midnight, Saturdays from Noon until midnight, and on Sundays from 11am until 8pm
- Through October 26 - Not Haunted Hayride - Red Wagon Farm, Route 252 just south of route 82, Columbia Station; 440 236-3007; free parking; Saturdays and Sundays: Noon - 5pm
- October 4 and 5 - Goblins in the Garden - Holden Arboretum; 10am - 430pm; treats, games, costumes, and fun. $15 per car.
- October 18-21 and 24-27 - Boo at the Zoo - Cleveland Metroparks Zoo - Enjoy treats, games, and family-friendly Halloween activities; 6pm -9pm, $8
- October 18-19 - Magical Whooloween - Lake Metroparks Penitentiary Glen Nature Center, 8668 Kirtland-Chardon Rd., Kirtland - a non-scary, Halloween alternative for families with children 2-11 years. Activities include storytelling, games, a night hike snacks, and a miniature steam train ride; 530pm - 930pm; call 440 358-7275 or 800 669-9226 to register.
- October 19,25,26 - Spooky Science Nights - William H Mather Museum - Includes a spooky late night snack, admission to all of the Science Center exhibits, a movie, spooky experiments, and other activities. 530pm - 930pm; $12; call 216-621-2400 for reservations.
- Fright Night: A Family Sleepover - October 18 - Great Lakes Science Center - An overnight of fun for families with kids 6-12, includes an OMNIMAX movie, Mad Scientist crafts and play and a late night snack; 6pm; $40; call 216 241-2400 for reservations.
- October 26 - BOO at the Garden - Cleveland Botanical Garden, University Circle - Celebrate the season with games, costumes, dancing, crafts, and trick or treat; 530pm - 830pm
- October 19-20, 26-27 - IX Trick or Treat Street - Cleveland I-X Center, Cleveland - Meet Dora the Explorer and Scooby-Doo, visit 10 spooktacular candy houses and enjoy the amusement park rides; $14
- October 7 -- Tales for Tots: Bats! - Ford Nature Center, 840 Old Furnace Road, Youngstown; - Take a nature hike designed especially for those ages 2-3 and their companions. 10am - 11am; call 330 740-7107 for reservations and information.
- October 7-8 -- Enchanted Forest at the Wilderness Center -- 9877 Alabama Ave SW, Wilmot; Take a family-friendly hike along the enchanted trail with pumpkins, wood sprites and more. 630pm; $8; call 330 359-5235 for reservations and more information.
(last updated 11-30-16)