Celebrate the holiday season with a Symphony of Lights, a drive through Christmas light display on the grounds of Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland. Symphony of Lights is a spectacular display of more than 75 animated and stationary holiday lights. All proceeds from the Christmas light display benefit the Campus Development Plan for Howard County General Hospital: A member of Johns Hopkins Medicine. Note, the event is one of the most popular light displays in the area. To avoid a long wait, plan your visit on a weekday or early in the season.
Tune your car radio to some holiday tunes and enjoy the magic of the season.
Dates and Hours:
November 21, 2017-January 1, 2018, Tuesdays-Fridays, 6:30-10 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays, 5:30-10 p.m.
Address: Symphony Woods, Merriweather Post Pavilion Columbia, Maryland. (410) 740-7840.
Symphony of Lights is located at the intersection of Brokenland Parkway and Hickory Ridge Road, off of Route 29 at Exit 18B.
Admission: Pre-purchased drive-through tickets for cars and vans up to eight seats cost $20 Sundays through Fridays and $25 on Saturdays. Buses are not permitted. Pre-purchase tickets online in advance at hopkinsmedicine.org. Tickets cost $5 more at the entrance.
Symphony of Lights Festivities
- Dazzle Dash Weekend - November 19, 2017. A fun filled kick-off community event to celebrate the opening of the Symphony of Lights. Friends and families gather to walk or run 1.4 miles through the magical outdoor display of lights. Enjoy games and activities for children of all ages, food, entertainment and giveaways. Pre-registration required.
- Twinkling Tots - Tuesday, December 4, 2017.Families can celebrate the season with a leisurely 1.4 mile walk through the dazzling light displays. Children in strollers and wagons are welcome.
- Military Appreciation Nights- Thursdays, December 7 and 14, 2017. Receive $10 off the cost of the drive through admission with valid military ID.
- Tail Lights - December 11, 2017. Treat yourself and your dog to a walk through the 1.4 mile Symphony of Lights displays. It’s a wonderful way to enjoy the holiday season and to make this dog friendly walk your families new holiday tradition
- Midnight at 7 - December 31. A family fun New Year's eve celebration with Fireworks. Walk through the lights, enjoy entertainment, dancing and other exciting activities. Register online at hcgh.org/midnightat7
Merriweather Post Pavilion is an outdoor concert venue nestled within the 40 preserved acres known as Symphony Woods, in Columbia, Maryland. Originally built to be the home of the National Symphony Orchestra, Merriweather was designed by the renowned architect Frank Gehry. In addition to its use as a music venue, the expansive grounds are used throughout the year for a variety of community festivals and events. Conveniently located in the Baltimore/Washington corridor off Route 29 Merriweather is an easy place to reach.
The light display is one of the most popular and most affordable holiday events in the region. The Washington, D.C. area has many other seasonal activities for the whole family including tree lighting ceremonies, tours of decorated historic houses, holiday festivals, live musical performances and special events. Read about the Best 10 Ways to Celebrate the Holidays in Washington, D.C.