01 of 08
Christmas on the Water
Floating parades of lights are a treasured holiday tradition along the Southern California waterfront. For all Christmas boat parades, plan to arrive early to find parking. Traffic gets really intense close to parade time. Waterfront restaurants fill up sometimes months in advance, so call early if you want to have dinner with a view of the parade at the few locations that provide this. All of the Los Angeles County holiday boat parades are one night only, but in Orange County, the Newport Beach and Dana Point processions take place over multiple nights. Click through to find out all you need to know about the boat parades in December 2017.Continue to 2 of 8 below.
02 of 08
LA Harbor Holiday Afloat Parade
Decorated boats parade through the Port of Los Angeles Main Channel in this spectacular event marking its 55th year in 2017.
When: December 2, 2017, 6 p.m.
- Banning Landing Community Center, 100 E. Water St., Wilmington
- The Port of LA Cruise Ship Promenade, 600 N. Harbor Blvd., San Pedro
- Battleship IOWA, 250 S. Harbor Blvd, San Pedro
- Los Angeles Maritime Museum, 600 Sampson Way, San Pedro
- Downtown Harbor, 504 S. Harbor Blvd., San Pedro
- Ports O' Call Village, 1100 Nagoya Way, San Pedro
- 22nd Street Landing, 141 W. 22nd St., San Pedro
- SS Lane Victory, Berth 46 (at the end of Miner Street), San Pedro
- Cabrillo Marina, 200 Whaler's Walk, San Pedro
Information: laharborholidayafloat.orgContinue to 3 of 8 below.
03 of 08
Dana Point Boat Parade of Lights
You can view the parade free from anywhere in the harbor, or make reservations at one of the waterfront restaurants to view while you eat. There are also boat rides with Santa Dec. 2 and 3, 2017, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. from the Dana Wharf Sportfishing Dock.
When: Dec. 8, 9, 15, 16, 2017; 7:30 p.m. (festivities begin 4:30 p.m.)
Viewing Locations: Dana Point Harbor, 34555 Golden Lantern, Dana Point
Information: www.danapointharbor.com.Continue to 4 of 8 below.
04 of 08
Marina del Rey Boat Parade
When: Dec. 9, 2017. Fireworks begin at 5:55 p.m., with the parade 6 to 8 p.m. Before the parade, from noon to 6 p.m., check out Snow Wonder at Burton Chace Park, which includes a real snow play area, sledding, arts, crafts, DJ, and food trucks.
- Burton Chace Park, 13650 Mindanao Way, Marina del Rey (Music, commentary and judging)
- Fisherman's Village, 13755 Fiji Way, Marina del Rey (View from along the channel or from one of the restaurants with a waterfront view)
Parking: Parking fees in county parking lots are waived for the parade. There is no street parking.
Information: www.mdrboatparade.org.Continue to 5 of 8 below.
05 of 08
King Harbor Boat Parade in Redondo Beach
When: Dec. 9, 2017, 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Viewing Locations: From King Harbor Marina to the Redondo Beach Pier, all along the waterfront from restaurants, breakwalls, or along the piers
Parking: Paid parking in the Pier Parking structure, Redondo Beach Marina and street parking
Information: www.khyc.org.Continue to 6 of 8 below.
06 of 08
Long Beach Parade of 1,000 Lights in the Downtown Shoreline Marina
When: Dec.16, 2017, 5 to 7 p.m.
- From restaurants and the boardwalk at Shoreline Village
- The Marina breakwall behind Shoreline Village
- Shoreline Park around the Lighthouse
Parking: Paid parking at Shoreline Village, the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Pike, metered street parking, pre-paid ticket boxes at the Downtown Marina
Information: www.shorelineyachtclub.com.Continue to 7 of 8 below.
07 of 08
Naples Christmas Boat Parade, Long Beach
When: Dec. 9, 2017. Large boats start at 6 p.m. along the peninsula. Small boats start at 6:30 p.m. from the Appian Way Bridge. Large and small boats will travel in opposite directions.
- From the bridges and along the canals around Naples Island you can see the small boat parade.
- From the 2nd Street Bridge, Appian Way Bridge, and along Alamitos Bay Marina you can also see the larger vessels that don't fit in the canals.
Parking: Marine lots east of Davis Bridge, metered parking at Mothers' Beach lot off Appian Way, Marine Stadium, and 54th Street and Bayshore. Surrounding streets close at 5 p.m.
Note: The houses around Naples Island put on one of the best displays of Christmas and Hanukkah lights in Southern California. Plan to get there early to stroll around the island before the parade.
Information: www.naplesca.comContinue to 8 of 8 below.
08 of 08
Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade
When: Dec. 13 to 17, 2017. The parade of yachts, boats, canoes, and kayaks starts off at the Tip of Lido Isle, a change of starting point from previous years, at 6:30 pm and finishes at the same point at about 9 p.m. in the 109th Newport Beach Christmas Boat Parade.
Free Viewing Locations:
- Marina Park
- On the bay side of Balboa Peninsula from 18th Street to the end of Bay Avenue
- Anywhere along the water on Balboa Island
- Along the Pacific Coast Highway between Balboa Bay Club and Riverside Drive
- Along the water on Lido Isle
Paid Viewing Locations:
- Seating is available at the American Legion Post 291 at 215 15th Street. Call early to reserve (949) 673-5070 or 1-800-655-0149.
- The Newport Sea Base, 1931 West Coast Highway, has lawn seating with a view of the parade. Call 949-642-5031 for more details.