National Harbor, the 300-acre waterfront development near Washington, D.C., hosts a festive season of holiday events along the Potomac River including a Christmas tree lighting, a holiday market, live entertainment, holiday movies, photos with Santa and fireworks. While visiting National Harbor, be sure to check out the spectacular holiday decorations and special events at the Gaylord National Resort. The décor includes more than two million holiday lights, indoor snowfall, and a Christmas Village. Gaylord National Resort's ICE! is an interactive holiday attraction and a "must see". It's a winter wonderland created entirely of two million POUNDS of ice hand-sculpted by 40 international artisans and kept at a chilling nine degrees Fahrenheit. National Harbor is home to an eclectic mix of shops which makes it a great holiday shopping destination. With a wide range of restaurants, visitors enjoy festive dining with waterfront views.
National Harbor is located just minutes from Washington, DC, accessible from I-95/I-495, I-295, by car, Metrobus or water taxi. There is no direct access by Metrorail.
Schedule of Events at the National Harbor
- National Harbor Fireworks: Every Saturday from November 16 to December 21, 5:30 p.m. National Plaza. This weekly fireworks display will be sure to get you in the holiday spirit.
- Holiday Movies: Every Saturday throughout the holiday season, 3:30 p.m. National Plaza. Don your warmest clothing and head to the Potomac River to catch a Christmas movie this holiday season. From "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" to "Love Actually," you'll have a blast rewatching beloved classics and modern favorites on the jumbo screen. Free popcorn is included.
- Ride The Capital Wheel with Santa: Every Saturday from November 30 to December 21, 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. The Capital Wheel. It's no sleigh ride, but you and the kids can still take a spin with St. Nick on The Capital Wheel. As you rise 180 feet above the Potomac, you'll be met with spectacular views of Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. A general admission ticket costs $15 (plus tax), and children 12 years old and under can ride for $11.25 (plus tax).
- Frozen Carousel Christmas: Every Saturday from November 20 to December 21, 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. The Carousel. If "Frozen 2" has your 6-year-old belting out "Into the Unknown" on repeat, head to Elsa and Olaf's ice-themed party under the pavilion. Feel free to leave your selfie stick at home; one will be available for your family to get that perfect snap with the Ice Princess.
- Live Music & Santa, Oh MY!: Times and dates vary. Bobby McKeys Dueling Piano Bar. Not only can you and your kids rock out to live music, there's an all-you-can-eat buffet and bar for non-designated drivers. Plus, you'll get the chance to take photos with Santa. Tickets cost $22 for ages two and up.
- Toys for Tots: December 7, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. National Plaza. Toys for Tots is accepting donations! Each family who drops off a new toy will be given one free Capital Wheel ticket.
- Dickens Caroling Quartet: December 22, 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. The Waterfront District. This festive group of people will sing carols as they make their way through the Waterfront District. If you want to be sure to catch them, you can find them on the Plaza stage towards the end of their performance.
- Gaylord National Resort's ICE!: November 15 to December 30, hours vary. Gaylord National Resort, 201 Waterfront Street, National Harbor, Maryland. The winter wonderland is an interactive attraction featuring sculptures and displays from the Dr. Seuss classic "How The Grinch Stole Christmas!" Visit with the whole family throughout the holiday season. Nightly entertainment at the Gaylord National Resort includes ice tubing, ice skating, gingerbread decorating, holiday train rides through Christmas Village, and much more.
- National Harbor Christmas Light Show: Nightly throughout the holiday season. Waterfront Plaza. The light show will continue each night through the holiday season. Beginning at sundown and continuing every half hour until 9 p.m.
National Harbor is a 350-acre mixed-use community set along the Potomac River in Prince George's County, Maryland near Washington, D.C. Built by the Peterson Companies in 2008, the development includes hotels, restaurants, retail stores, condominiums, a full-service marina, a convention center, and commercial office space. The Tanger Outlet Shopping Mall and MGM Casino - National Harbor are located nearby making this area one of the prime destinations to explore in the capital region.