Located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, the Children's Museum of Manhattan is popular with local children, school groups and visitors who enjoy the interactive, educational activities available at the museum. Whether "working" in a post office or experiencing water's many properties hands on, the museum is a great destination for young children and their parents.
About the Children's Museum of Manhattan:
With five floors of frequently changing exhibits, the Children's Museum of Manhattan is a great destination for families with young children. The variety of activities available at the museum range from arts and crafts to make believe, many of which are inspired by popular children's books and television shows. Enthusiastic staff educators are available throughout the museum to assist parents and care givers and make the experience even more fun for kids. Whether your young child is spelling her name with rubber duckies or driving an animal rescue van, they're sure to enjoy a visit to the Children's Museum of Manhattan.
Good to Know About CMOM:
- Coat check is available
- Strollers are not allowed in the museum
- Wednesday and Thursday afternoons tend to be the quietest time at the museum
- Check the events schedule online to see what special activities will be going on when you're at the museum
- There is no eating and no food for sale in the museum. This is to keep the museum safe for allergy-sensitive children. (I recommend giving your child a snack before you go in the museum, but there is also a helpful list of places to eat nearby, some of which offer discounts to museum members.)
- Central Park and Riverside Park are both about two blocks from the museum, so it's easy to spend a day visiting the museum and enjoying some time outdoors in one of the nearby parks.
Children's Museum of Manhattan Details
- Address: 212 West 83rd Street (Map)
- Cross Streets: Broadway and Amsterdam
- Closest Subways: B or C to 81st Street; 1 to 79th or 86th Street
- Phone: 212-721-1234
- Admission: $12 for children and adults; $8 for seniors; free for Children under 1 and members (they participate in the reciprocal program with ACM, so if you have an ACM membership, you can get admission for half price to CMOM)
- Sunday and Tuesday – Friday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Closed most Mondays, but open on select holiday Mondays
- Also open the first Friday of every month from 5-8 p.m. with free admission as a part of Target Free Fridays
- Website: http://www.cmom.org