Chicago's Magnificent Mile relishes in its reputation as the Midwest's answer to Beverly Hills' Rodeo Drive or New York's 5th Avenue. Located on Michigan Avenue from the Michigan Avenue Bridge (to the south) to Oak Street Beach (to the north), the upscale shopping district boasts the highest concentration of luxury boutiques and retail department stores in the city.
Along the Mag Mile strip pedestrians will also discover a number of art galleries, historical landmarks, hotels, restaurants and drinking establishments. Throughout this guide, you'll find a comprehensive guide to the area, one that's certain to help you effectively navigate the district.
Cultural Attractions on the Magnificent Mile
The Art Institute of Chicago serves as one of the world's most recognized and significant cultural museums, and it's only a couple of blocks south of the Mag Mile. Visitors will be thrilled to discover that within the district's boundaries exists venues catering to specific genres, from the sports-centric Chicago Sports Museum to the natural history artwork at Joel Oppenheimer, Inc. Here's a list to get you started:
- Hildt Galleries (inside The Drake Hotel)
- Joel Oppenheimer, Inc.
- Lookingglass Theatre Co.
- Loyola University Museum of Art
- Mongerson Gallery
- Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
- Richard Gray Gallery (inside John Hancock Tower)
Where to Eat and Drink on the Magnificent Mile
Though the Mag Mile is best known for its high-end offerings, dining and drinking destinations are designed to fit every budget. For fine dining, there's Spiaggia, while those looking for wallet-friendly fare may check into a number of burger, pizza and sandwich spots.
- Allium (inside Four Seasons Chicago)
- Beacon Tavern
- Torali Italian-Steak
- Eno Wine Room (inside Intercontinental Chicago Hotel)
- Foodease (inside Water Tower Place)
- Foodlife (inside Water Tower Place)
- Frankie's 5th Floor Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
- Grand Lux Cafe
- The Grill on the Alley (inside Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago)
- Harry Caray’s 7th Inning Stretch/Chicago Sports Museum
- Howells & Hood
- M Burger Water Tower
- Michael Jordan's Steak House (inside Intercontinental Chicago Hotel)
- Mity Nice Grill (at Water Tower Place)
- NoMI (inside Park Hyatt Chicago)
- The Purple Pig
- RL Restaurant
- Shanghai Terrace (inside Peninsula Chicago)
- Signature Lounge at the 95th
- Signature Room at the 95th
Historical Points of Interest on the Magnificent Mile
The designer-lined district is not only about high fashion and food. It's also home to a significant number of historical landmarks. For example, Jean Baptiste Point du Sable--Chicago's first settler--set up a trading post on the Chicago River at the base of the Mag Mile. There are many other cool stories detailing the rich history of this neighborhood.
- Chicago River
- Chicago Water Tower
- Fort Dearborn
- McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum
- Michigan Avenue Bridge
- Tribune Tower
- Wrigley Building
Family-Friendly Spots on the Magnificent Mile
For those looking for activities and attractions along the Mag Mile for the family, there are plenty of places to consider. From tea time at American Girl Place to candy-centric Hershey's Chocolate World, these places provide fun times.
- American Girl Place
- Chicago Sports Museum
- Disney Store
- Noble Horse Chicago Carriage Rides
- Chicago River Tours
Hotels on the Magnificent Mile
Whether it's a temporary luxury residence or downscaled mid-priced property, these hotels are situated along the Magnificent Mile strip.
- Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
- Conrad Chicago
- Drake Hotel Chicago
- Four Seasons Chicago
- The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel
- Intercontinental Chicago Hotel
- Omni Chicago Hotel
- Park Hyatt Chicago
- Peninsula Chicago
- Ritz-Carlton Chicago
- Westin Michigan Avenue
Gourmet Shops on the Magnificent Mile
From Shops at North Bridge to Water Tower Place, there are some great spots to stop if you're looking for a quick, gourmet snack.
Luxury Shopping on the Magnificent Mile
All within one glorious mile are some of the top designer-centric department stores and boutiques in the world.
- 900 Shops
- American Girl Place
- Anne Fontaine
- Brooks Brothers
- Disney Store
- Louis Vuitton
- Neiman Marcus
- The North Face
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Shops at North Bridge
- Tiffany & Co.
- Water Tower Place