Moving can be a stressful endeavor, be it across the state or across the street. No matter your situation, if you are licensed to drive in Florida, the state requires you to change the address on a Florida driver's license within 30 days of moving to a new location. Instead of wasting hours in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles, register your new address online. Changing your information on the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website is easy, takes only approximately 10 minutes, and costs a nominal fee of $25 to make the update.
It is important to keep the address on your vehicle registration current, so you will receive the license renewal information plus any additional, important messages. Note that making the change online or by mail may take 7 to 10 business days. If you need an updated driver's license immediately, you will, unfortunately, still need to go to the DMV office.
How to Change Your Florida Driver's License Address Online
- Go to GoRenew.com, the official website for the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
- Click "I Agree," which indicates that you agree with the Driver Privacy Protection Act Warning. (On this page, you can also check whether there are any issues with your current driver's license.) Select Continue.
- Enter your last name as it appears on your driver's license and your date of birth. Click Continue.
- Enter the address currently shown on your driver's license. Click Continue. You may also need to enter information such as your Social Security number, license plate number, and/or vehicle identification number.
- If your record is successfully located, you will be given the option to enter emergency contact information and to register as an organ and tissue donor. Select Continue.
- Enter your new address. You have the option to enter a mailing address and a physical address. You can have the same address for both entries, as long as it is not a post office box. Select Continue.
- Enter an email address for the purpose of giving the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles an additional method of contact. More than one email address can be entered. Select Continue.
- Choose the services needed: To change your Florida driver's license address, select the option for a replacement/duplicate license with a $25 charge. By selecting an item that requires payment, you will be adding the selected item to the shopping cart.
- Florida driver's license registration and replacement license options
- Duplicate license plate registration (This service will only appear if a license plate is assigned to this driver's license.)
- Enter payment information, and select Confirm. Note that online payment transactions require a nonrefundable $2 convenience fee. Once your change has been placed, it cannot be canceled.
- Voila! Your updated Florida driver's license with your new address should arrive in the mail within two weeks (typically 7 to 10 business days).