Moving can be a stressful endeavor, be it across the state, or across the street. No matter your situation, the state of Florida requires that you must change the address on your Florida Driver's License within 10 days of moving to a new location. Instead of wasting hours in line at the DMV, you can register your new address online. Changing your information on the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website is easy to do, takes just about 10 minutes of your time, and you will be only be charged a nominal fee of $25 for the update.
It's important to keep the address on your vehicle registration current so you'll receive any important messages and a notice when your license renewal date nears. Please note that making the change online or through the mail may take 7 to 10 business days. If you need an updated diver's license immediately, you will, unfortunately, need to go to your local DMV office.
Step by Step Instructions for Online Address Change Registration
- Go to GoREnew web page for the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
- You will need to select the option that you agree with the Driver Privacy Protection Act Warning. On this page, you can also check to see if there are any issues with your current driver's license. Select 'Continue.'
- Enter in information to help locate your Driver's License record. You will need your Driver's License number, Social Security Number, Vehicle Identification Number OR FL License Plate tag number.
- You will also need to enter your date of birth AND last four of your SSN. Select 'Continue.'
- If your record is successfully located, you will be given the option to enter emergency contact information and to sign up as and organ and tissue donor. Select 'Continue.'
- Enter your current address. You have the option to enter a mailing address and a physical address. You can have the same address in both spots, as long as it is not a P.O. Box.
- You will be prompted to enter an email address for the purpose of giving the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles additional forms of contact information. More than one email address can be entered here as well. Select 'Continue.'
- Choose services needed: If you are changing your address, you will need to select the option for a replacement/Duplicate license with a $25 charge. By selecting an item that requires payment, you will be adding the selected item to the shopping cart.
- Florida Driver's License registration and replacement license options.
- Duplicate License Plate registration - this service will only appear if a license plate is assigned to this Driver's License.
- Enter in payment information, and select 'Confirm'.
- Voila! Your updated license should arrive within 2 weeks (typically 7-10 business days).