Scratch a celebrity, and you'll find someone who knows his or her way around hotels. Movie actors uproot themselves to go on location. Theater actors doing a play in another city need hotels for the duration of their run. And musicians, sports stars, and other travelers in the celebrity limelight also see the inside of many different hotels.
All that exposure inspires some celebrity travelers to want to open, own, or invest in hotels.
If you'd like to stay in a celebrity-owned hotel, you can find them in many desirable locations. You won't necessarily see the celebrity making beds or even on the hotel premises, but his or her taste should be evident throughout the property.
USA Celebrity-Owned Hotels
- The Greenwich Hotel, New York City, Robert De Niro
- Sundance Resort, Sundance, Utah, Robert Redford
- Bedford Post Inn, Pound Ridge, New York, Richard Gere
- Costa d'Este, Vero Beach, Florida, Gloria Estefan
- Cypress Inn, Carmel, California, Doris Day
- DreamMore Resort, Smoky Mountains, Tennessee, Dolly Parton
- 432 Hermosa, Palm Springs Leonardo DiCaprio
- Mission Ranch, Carmel, California, Clint Eastwood
- Kate's Lazy Meadow, Mount Tremper, New York, Kate Pierson (B52s)
- Loretta Lynn's Ranch, Hurricane Mills, Tennessee, Loretta Lynn
- Y’all Come Inn, Tybee Island, Georgia, Paula Deen
European Celebrity-Owned Hotels
- No. 11 Cadogan Gardens, London, England, Elizabeth Hurley
- Rival Hotel, Stockholm, Sweden, Benny Andersson (Abba)
- Auberge La Lucarne aux Chouettes, Burgundy, France, Leslie Caron
- The Big Sleep, Cardiff, Wales, John Malkovich
- The Clarence Hotel, Dublin, Ireland, Bono
- The Cromlix Hotel, Perthshire, Scotland, Andy Murray
Tropical Celebrity-Owned Hotels
- Namale Resort & Spa, Fiji, Tony Roberts
- Marley Resort, Nassau, Bahamas, Bob Marley Family
- Ariel Sands, Devonshire, Bermuda, Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones
- Blancaneaux Resorts (3), Belize, Francis Ford Coppola
- Stargroves Villa, Mustique, Caribbean, Mick Jagger
- Blackadore Caye, Belize, Leonardo DiCaprio
Celebrity-Owned Hotels Elsewhere
- Ulusaba Safari Lodge, South Africa, Richard Branson
- Jardin Escondido, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Francis Ford Coppola
- Gaia Retreat & Spa, Byron Bay, Australia, Olivia Newton John
- Gwinganna Health Retreat, Queensland, Australia, Hugh Jackman
- Palazzo Versace, Gold Coast, Australia, Donatella Versace
- Terrace Beach Resort, Vancouver Island, Canada, Jason Priestley
Etiquette at a Celebrity-Owned Hotel
It's unlikely that you will encounter the celebrity owner when you visit his or her place, so if you're a fan and that's the only reason you're choosing to stay at the property, you may be disappointed. Most of these places are professionally managed as an investment.
If you do visit when the celebrity is on site, respect his or her privacy. Do not ask for selfies with the famous person or interrupt a conversation to inject yourself. It is possible that the celebrity may maintain private quarters within the hotel or resort.
Do not try to track the famous person or find the inner sanctum. He or she is there for some of the same reasons as you: to enjoy the surroundings and have some privacy.