The Castleton Festival is a summer music festival that brings a sophisticated lineup of classical music, theater and opera to the rolling hills of Rappahannock County, Virginia, approximately 60 miles southwest of Washington DC. The event combines modern performance with a mentoring program for young artists and theater professionals. Each summer, rising singers, musicians, makeup and costume artists, technicians and stagehands work on their craft alongside experienced professionals for eight weeks of rehearsals and performances.
Castleton has been a vista-opener for over 3,000 young people through open dress rehearsals, master classes and through its artist training seminar.
Dates: The festival took a temporary hiatus for 2016 - 2017 details to be announced
Castleton Festival Tickets
Tickets for the 2015 summer season will go on sale January 5, 2015 at castletonfestival.org and through the Festival box office at 866-974-0767.
7 Castleton Meadows Lane, Castleton, VA
Set in one of the most beautiful areas of Virginia, the Castleton Festival’s performances take place in two venues on the Maazel family’s 600-acre Castleton Farms:
- The Castleton Festival Theatre - a 650 seat air-conditioned proscenium theatre that includes multi-level seating and an orchestra pit accommodating up to 90 musicians
- The Theatre House - an intimate, state-of-the-art 140 seat proscenium theatre including seating on two levels and an orchestra pit accommodating 20 musicians.
Directions from the Washington DC area: Take I-66W to exit 43A, US-29 S and follow Route 29 to Warrenton, VA. In Warrenton, take a right turn onto US-211 W. After about 10 miles, turn left onto 642 (Viewtown Road, which turns into 640/Forest Grove Road). Turn right at the stop sign onto 729 (Richmond Road, which turns into 618/Laurel Mills Road). After about 5 miles, turn right onto 618 (Hope Hill Road). Turn right onto Castleton Meadows Lane.
2015 Castleton Program
The 2015 program will showcase Castleton’s rising stars alongside world-renowned artists in new productions of Gounod’s Roméo et Juliette (Romeo and Juliet), a new production of Ravel’s L’heure espagnole (The Spanish Hour), a world premiere of Derrick Wang’s comic opera Scalia/Ginsburg and a Castleton production of Thornton Wilder’s classic play Our Town. Jazz at Lincoln Center, in conjunction with JALC founder Wynton Marsalis, is hosting a summer Jazz Academy residency for high school musicians, who will present four concerts at Castleton from July 19-August 2, 2015.
The festival will also feature symphonic concerts, chamber music, vocal recitals, July 4 weekend bluegrass and All-American Band concerts.
This year, Castleton welcomes jazz to the performance lineup as Wynton Marsalis, friend and longtime colleague of Maestro Maazel, brings Jazz at Lincoln Center’s summer training program for high school students to Castleton. The first Jazz at Lincoln Center Summer Jazz Academy will take place July 19-August 2, 2015 and will include two weekends of performances following the Castleton Festival’s classical and opera program.
Places to Stay Near the Castleton Festival
Attending the Castleton Festival makes a great weekend getaway and a variety of accommodations are available in the area. Here is a list of convenient places to stay.
- Airlie - 6809 Airlie Road Warrenton, VA (540) 347-1300
- Belle Meade Bed & Breakfast - 353 F.T. Valley Road (Route 231) Sperryville, VA (540) 987-9748
- Fairlea Farm Bed & Breakfast - 636 Mount Salem Avenue Washington, VA (540) 675-3679
- Flint Hill Public House Restaurant & Country Inn - 675 Zachary Taylor Highway (Route 522) Flint Hill, VA (540) 675-1700
- Foster Harris House - 189 Main Street Washington, VA (800) 666-0153
- Fountain Hall Bed & Breakfast - 609 S. East Street Culpeper, VA (540) 825-8300
- Gay Street Inn - 160 Gay Street Washington, VA (540) 316-9220
- Glen Gordon Manor - 1482 Zachery Taylor Highway (Route 522) Huntly, VA (540) 636-6010
- Harmony Manor Bed & Breakfast - 65 Clark Lane Washington, VA (540) 987-3300
- Holiday Inn Express - 787 Madison Road Culpeper, VA (540) 825-7444
- Hopkins Ordinary Bed and Breakfast - 47 Main Street Sperryville, VA (540) 987-3383
- Perennial Inn at Desiderata Farm - 7366 Laurel Hill Lane Rixeyville, VA (703) 856-6003
- Suites at 249 - 249 East Davis Street Culpeper, VA (540) 827-1100
- The Blue Rock Inn - 12567 Lee Highway Washington, VA (540) 987-3388
- The Conyers House Inn & Stable - 3131 Slate Mills Road Sperryville, VA (540) 987-8025
- The Inn at Little Washington - Middle and Main Streets Little Washington, VA (540) 675-3800
- The Inn at Mount Vernon Farm - Sperryville, VA (800) 765-0604
- Thyme in Culpeper - 128 East Davis Street Culpeper, VA (540) 825-4264
- Trail's End Ranch Bed & Breakfast - 9232 Frontier Lane Castleton, VA (540) 937-3213
- White Moose Inn - 291 Main Street Washington, VA (540) 675-3207