Casey Jr. Circus Train Ride at Disneyland Cailfornia
This cute little train runs around the same area as the Storybook Land Canal Boats. It is based on the train of the same name from the 1941 animated film Dumbo,
The train takes its passengers on a tour of miniature scenes from classic Disney animated movies including straw, stick and brick houses from Three Little Pigs and the Royal city of Agrabah and Cave of Wonders from Aladdin - along with more than half a dozen others.
The ride vehicles look like animal cages or fancy sleighs. And the little engine pulls them bravely until he reaches the big hill where the power of positive thinking helps him conquer the big challenge.
The train's cars (from front to back) are: Casey the locomotive, a calliope car, an open-top car with bench seats a monkey and wild animal cage, another open-top car and a caboose.
What You Need to Know About Casey Jr
We polled 140 of our readers to find out what they think about Casey Jr. 71% of them said It's a must-do or ride it if you have time, making it one of the lowest-rated rides in Disneyland.
- Location: Casey Jr is in Fantasyland.
- Rating: ★
- Restrictions: No height restrictions. Children under age 7 years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older.
- Ride Time: 3.5 minutes
- Recommended for: Families with kids
- Fun Factor: Low
- Wait Factor: Low
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Low
- Seating: Ride vehicles look like train cars. Some cars are open with bench seats, but there's also a monkey cage and a wild animal cage. You step up just slightly to get into any of them. Accommodations for adults can be crowded, especially if you have to squeeze into one of the caged cars.
- Accessibility: You have to transfer into the train cars and step over the edge to get in. Wheelchairs should enter through the exit. More about visiting Disneyland in a wheelchair or ECV
How to Have More Fun on Casey Jr. Circus Train
- The monkey cage is a favorite car with kids, and makes a great photo if you have someone stay outside to take it.
- If you listen carefully, you'll hear Casey Jr. saying "I think I can" as he makes the climb up that steep hill.
- If you can get a peek inside the cab of the train, you can see a hidden Mickey in the arrangement of the round gauges.
- Casey Jr is great for kids. Find more rides for your children.
- This ride covers the same sights as the Storybook Land Canal Boats. It does it faster and with less of a wait, but with seating that may be less comfortable for some adults. If you ride one of them, you may not need to ride both. At least from an adult perspective. Small children may see it differently, thinking of them instead as a boat ride and a train ride. If they love trains, take them on this ride.
More About Disneyland Rides
You can see all the Disneyland rides at a glance on the Disneyland Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with the Haunted Mansion and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.
Fun Facts About Casey Jr. Circus Train
Casey Jr. is one of Disneyland's original rides - almost. It actually opened a couple of weeks after the grand opening.
The sleigh-style train cars were part of the King Arthur Carrousel when Disneyland bought it. When the carousel was changed to all horses, the sleighs from the carousel became part of Casey Jr.
The car that looks like a locomotive doesn't have the engine in it. Instead, it's located in the calliope car.
If you're a train geek, Casey Jr is a two-foot (610 mm) narrow gauge, internal combustion-powered railroad. It was manufactured by Arrow Development in Mountain View, CA.
The attraction's classic theme song was written by Frank Churchill and Ned Washington.