Casey Jr. is a cute little train runs around the same area as the Storybook Land Canal Boats. It is based on the train of the same name from the 1941 animated film "Dumbo."
The ride takes its passengers on a tour of miniature scenes from classic Disney animated movies including the straw, stick and brick houses from "Three Little Pigs" and the Royal city of Agrabah and Cave of Wonders from "Aladdin" - along with more than half a dozen others.
The ride vehicles look like animal cages or fancy sleighs. And the little engine pulls them bravely until he reaches the big hill where the power of positive thinking helps him conquer the big challenge.
Casey Jr. Circus Train Ride at Disneyland Cailfornia
Casey Jr is best for the little ones, but people, in general, give it some of the lowest ratings of all Disneyland rides.
- Location: Casey Jr is in Fantasyland.
- Rating: ★
- Restrictions: No height restrictions. Children under age seven years must be accompanied by a person aged 14 years or older.
- Ride Time: 3.5 minutes
- Recommended for: Families with kids.
- Fun Factor: Low
- Wait Factor: Low
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Low
- Seating: Ride vehicles look like train cars. Some cars are open with bench seats, but there's also a monkey cage and a wild animal cage. You step up just slightly to get into any of them. Accommodations for adults can be crowded, especially if you have to squeeze into one of the caged cars.
- Accessibility: You have to transfer into the train cars and step over the edge to get in. If you are in a wheelchair or using and ECV, ask a Cast Member where to enter. You will also need to transfer by yourself or with help from your companions. More about visiting Disneyland in a wheelchair or ECV
How to Have More Fun
- The monkey cage is a favorite car with kids and makes a great photo if you have someone stay outside to take it.
- If you don't want to be crowded into a cage car, ask the Cast Member in the boarding area if you can wait for the next open one instead.
- If you listen carefully, you'll hear Casey Jr. saying "I think I can" as he makes the climb up that steep hill.
- If you can get a peek inside the cab of the train, you can see a hidden Mickey in the arrangement of the round gauges.
- Casey Jr is great for kids. Find more rides for your children.
- This ride covers the same sights as the Storybook Land Canal Boats. It does it faster and with less of a wait, but with seating that may be less comfortable for some adults. If you ride one of these two rides, you may not need to ride both, at least from an adult perspective. Small children may see it differently, thinking of them instead as a boat ride and a train ride. If they love trains, take them on this ride.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download the essential Disneyland apps (they're all free!) and get some proven tips to minimize your Disneyland wait time.
Casey Jr. is one of Disneyland's original rides - almost. It actually opened a couple of weeks after the grand opening.
The train's cars (from front to back) are Casey the locomotive, a calliope car, an open-top car with bench seats a monkey and wild animal cage, another open-top car and a caboose.
The sleigh-style train cars were part of the King Arthur Carrousel when Disneyland bought it. When the carousel changed to all horses, the sleighs from the carousel became part of Casey Jr.
The car that looks like a locomotive doesn't have the engine in it. Instead, it's located in the calliope car.
To get the train off to a perfect start, the engineer has to work quickly: They start by turning on the narration and then they have to keep up with it by releasing the brakes, blowing the whistle twice, and then getting the train moving smoothly. What you may not notice is that the locomotive car isn't really the engine, which is housed in the calliope car.
If you're a train geek, Casey Jr is a two-foot (610 mm) narrow gauge, internal combustion-powered railroad. Arrow Development manufactured it in Mountain View, CA.
Frank Churchill and Ned Washington wrote the attraction's classic theme song.
Disneyland Paris has a ride with the same name, but there Casey Jr is a roller coaster.