The Bottom Line
The Carlyle Club offers live "Big Band" era entertainment and fine dining in an art deco-style space with a large stage and dance floor. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner and provides a set dinner menu for big name shows.
- Good food, live entertainment and dancing under one roof
- Nice atmosphere and service
- Stage can accommodate a large band or orchestra
- Old fashioned music style may not appeal to everyone
- Fixed menu is pricey (only required for big name entertainers)
- Address: 411 John Carlyle St. Alexandria, VA 22314
- Phone: (703) 548-5953
- Hours: Open daily 11 am to midnight
- Parking: Garage beneath building, Valet available
- Metro: 3 Blocks from King Street station
- Prices: Lunch $9.95-15.95, Dinner $19.95-39.95, Big name entertainers $75-$100.
Guide Review - Carlyle Club - Review - Alexandria, Virginia
The Carlyle lunch menu consists of a variety of appetizers, entrees and a choice of nine salads, plus six hot and cold sandwiches. Dinner expands to include classic dishes such as Shrimp Cocktail, Oysters Rockefeller, Filet Mignon and Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes. Signature entrees will include The Carlyle Cowboy Steak, a 22-ounce Bone In Rib Eye Steak with Jack Daniel Chive Butter and Firecracker Onions.
Daily entertainment at lunch features piano performances, while evening entertainment ranges from three-piece jazz ensembles to national headliners.
Dinner for the national headliner shows are performed in two seatings: the first show at 7 p.m. and the second show at 10 p.m. Dinner prices for the big name shows range from $75-$100, including a four-course menu. There is a $25 cover for those wishing to see the second evening show without dinner.
The decor is art deco style with black, silver and blue hues, 15-foot ceilings in the dining room, 11-foot ceilings in the bar and a large raised stage that can accommodate an 18-piece band, and a roomy dance floor.
There is seating for over 250 guests in the dining room and 45 seats at the bar. A separate dining room can accommodate 20-25 people for private parties. Note: The best seating is on the left side of the room facing the stage.
Reviewed November 2007 - Prices are subject to change
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offering mentioned herein are subject to change without notice.