Festival Dates: July 6-30, 2017
The Capital Fringe Festival, also referred to as the DC Fringe Festival, is an annual performing arts event in Washington, DC featuring more than 129 performing groups in a variety of venues around Washington, DC. The Capital Fringe Festival introduces risk-taking art and non-traditional performances including theater, dance, music, poetry, puppetry and more. All of the venues are located near Trinidad and H Street NE within a 5 to 10 minute walk of each other.
2017 Fringe Festival Highlights
- Fringe’s year-round home base the Logan Fringe Arts Space at 1358 Florida Ave NE will be the Festival’s hub. There will be free music in the courtyard and the Fringe Arts Bar will be serving drinks and food.
- Get a preview of the Festival on Thursday, June 22 at 7:30pm. Twenty to 30 productions offer up snippets of their work to entice you at the Logan Fringe Arts Space.
- HOME an art exhibit exploring different interpretations of home including the loss of, making of and search for. Opening June 29 running through the Festival at the Logan Fringe Arts Space.
- Minnie the Mooucher by local theatre company Pointless Theatre presented by Capital Fringe July 6 – 30. Capital Fringe presents Pointless Theatre Company under its new program entitled Fringe Tour.
- Capital Fringe Festival Audience Awards voted on by the audience honoring the best in drama, comedy, dance, musical and physical theatre.
Capital Fringe Festival Extension Week is July 26-30 featuring the best of the festival at the Logan Fringe Arts Space and the Atlas Performing Arts Center.
See Photos of the Capital Fringe Festival
The concept of the festival dates back more than sixty years to Scotland's famed Edinburgh International Festival.
"Fringe" was the name taken by performance groups excluded from this prestigious event. Undaunted and determined, these companies created makeshift theatres on the outskirts - or "fringe" - of the established festival. Soon the Fringe Festival gained a large and loyal following, outstripping the mainstream festival.
The Fringe Festival concept migrated to Canada in the 1980s, and today that country boasts Fringe Festivals from coast to coast. In the early 1990s, the fringe concept was embraced in the United States, and today Fringe Festivals are annual events in Orlando, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York.
Capital Fringe Festival Locations
Trinidad Theatre - Logan Fringe Arts Space, 1358 Florida Ave NE
Upstairs - Logan Fringe Arts Space, 1358 Florida Ave NE
Gilbert C. Eastman Studio Theatre - Gallaudet University, 800 Florida Ave NE
Playground - Gallaudet University, 800 Florida Ave NE
H Street NE
Sprenger - Atlas Performing Arts Center, 1333 H St NE
Lab II - Atlas Performing Arts Center, 1333 H St NE
The Argonaut, 1433 H St NE
Downtown Washington DC
MLK Jr Memorial Library, 901 G St NW
Flashpoint, 916 G St NW
Caos on F, 923 F St NW
Sixth & I Synagogue, 600 I St NW
National Museum of Women in the Arts, 1250 New York Ave NW
Off the Official Festival Grounds Venues
District of Columbia Arts Center, 2438 18th NW
NW Tropicalia Lounge, 2001 14th Street NW
Tickets will be on sale June 19. Call (866) 811-4111 or purchase tickets online or visit the Festival Box Office at 1358 Florida Ave NE, Washington, DC.
See a full list of participating artists and performance times at www.capfringe.org.