01 of 06
Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach: Wellness & Luxury
Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach: a Wellness Retreat that's a Luxury Hotel
Canyon Ranch Hotel and Spa is a sleek, modern, New Age-style healing and wellness retreat. It is also a family-friendly Miami Beach luxury resort. The hotel perches atop a stretch of stunning beachfront about a 15-minute drive to South Beach.
Pedigree of Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
This resort was designed by David Rockwell, today's most in-demand hotel designer, whose masterpieces include The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. The Miami property was built on the site of the Art Deco-era Carillon Hotel, and its landmark sign remains.
The hotel is a more leisure-oriented outgrowth of Canyon Ranch, which ushered in the modern era of luxury spa resorts. The original Canyon Ranch opened in Tucson, Arizona, in 1979, and became renowned for upscale wellness programs and ample fitness facilities.
Nowadays, wellness-minded luxury travelers can also check into Canyon Ranch Lenox in the Berkshires,... Massachusetts.
The Resort Is on Miami Beach, But Many Guests Never Want to Leave
South Beach is close by, and mainland Miami's art and restaurant scene a short cab ride away. But many hotel guests stay on-property here.
Why? Canyon Ranch Miami Beach creates the kind of all-encompassing, high-end experience that beckons guests to remain within its manicured grounds. This property is indeed a retreat.
High-End Luxury at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
Guests expecting five-star amenities will not be disappointed here.
• The 150 rooms are all suites with balconies, kitchenettes and spacious bathrooms
• The hotel's fashionably uncluttered modern look is by celebrated designer David Rockwell
• The hotel is set on an enviable private beach, and has four sparkling pools
• The resort's spa is one of South Florida's biggest and most varied: 70,000 square feet that includes Aquavana Hydrospa, with thermal environments, experiential rains, and rejuvenating waters (more on that soon).
Fitness Is a Focus, But So Is Living Well
Fitness offerings are the kind you want to do all day:
• Exercise and yoga classes, an indoor rock-climbing wall, a lap pool
• And an army of healers – nutritionists, trainers, wellness pros -- ready to access your physical and spiritual status and guide you on a healthier path
But wellness isn't the only appeal of this resort. Bon vivant guests who are more interested in Pinot Noir than Pilates will be able to indulge in the resort's classic Florida beach, its spa, its suites' sybaritic bathrooms, and healthy but tasty cooking and organic booze.
Little Ones Are Welcome at Canyon Ranch Miami
Parents who want to take their kids to vacation at a Canyon Ranch property take note: this is the only Canyon Ranch resort open to all ages.
Programs for young guests include:
• Spa services tailored to teens
• Private or small-group family fitness classes for kids 5-13 and their parents
• Kids' own, complimentary fitness classes: KidFit for ages 5 to 8, Youth Fit for 9 to13
• Teens 14 and up are invited to participate in all fitness and mind-body classes
Traveling with your furry family? Canyon Ranch honors a pet-friendly policy, extended to dogs under 35 pounds. The resort's canine-compatible suites carry a supplementary housekeeping fee of $100 per stay for one or two dogs.
Would Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach be your hotel style? Take the quiz >>Continue to 2 of 6 below.
02 of 06
Would You Like Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach?
Would a getaway at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach be your style?
Canyon Ranch Hotel and Spa could be the right hotel for you if:
• You want to be right on the beach in an urban area such as Miami, Cancun, or Waikiki
• You like the idea of Miami, but don't want to be in the thick of hedonistic South Beach
• You feel good in modern hotels with sunny, airy rooms and minimalist décor
• You seek a cleansing, renewing wellness vacation rather than a bacchanal
• You love working out and taking yoga, spin, and Pilates classes
• You want a hotel with an elegant in-house spa
• You follow a special diet ad need a kitchen that will comply
• You’re traveling with kids and/or small dogs
Canyon Ranch Hotel and Spa may not be the best fit for you if:
• You’re interested in a social Miami hotel with a vibrant pool scene and in-house nightlife
• You’d want to be in or within walking distance to South Beach shops and restaurants
• A fitness and wellness orientation isn't quite your thing
• You're... interested in unbridled, steakhouse-style meals
• You'd prefer an adults-only resort
• You prefer to pay upfront by booking an all-inclusive resort
• You prefer classic grand hotels to sleek, modern hotels
Suites at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach >>Continue to 3 of 6 below.
03 of 06
Rooms at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
Every Room Is a Suite at Canyon Ranch Miami
All 150 guest accommodations at Canyon Ranch are suites...decked-out suites that feel like airy, contemporary apartments with neutral palettes and stylish furnishings. Views range from urban vistas to garden to partial ocean view to full ocean view.
All suites feature:
• Mini-kitchens with granite counters and KitchenAid and Miele appliances
• A terrace
• Opulent bathrooms with Italian glass mosaic tiles and deep soaking tubs
• Luxurious, Italian-made linens, robes, slippers
• Ample drawer, counter, and closet space
• HDTV system with integrated Internet access
• Bose Wave radio with iPod port
• Complimentary wifi
• Bottled water on the house
• US-made Lather bath products
• Gratis coffee and teamaker well stocked with Numi organic varieties
• Nightly turndown service that brings organic chocolates
Aah...the spa, fitness, & wellness programs at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach >>Continue to 4 of 6 below.
04 of 06
Spa at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach: Will You Like It?
Truly a Mind-Body Oasis
As befits the Canyon Ranch brand, this resort excels in spa, fitness, and wellness offerings. Canyon Ranch Miami is
The Spa at Canyon Ranch Miami
The first thing you need to know when embarking on a spa experience here: you must spend time in Aquavana.
That's the term for the water universe contained within this sprawling haven of hydrotherapy pampering. Even better: Aquavana Hydrospa is open to all guests, spa appointment or no.
Aquavana's wet wonderland offers:
• A steam room that resembles the interior of a giant crystal
• A rain shower with options like “Caribbean Monsoon” and “Polar Mist” that surround you with water sprays, cool mist, and rainforest sounds
• Two separate saunas (one scented, one not)
• A cool air igloo with a choice of scents (mint, menthol, eucalyptus)
• Whirlpool footbaths
• Thermal heated lounger
Beyond Aquavana, the spa is full-service and then some.
• A vast spa menu covers massage and bodywork, high-tech facials, and in-water treatments
•... Specialty treatments cover couples, teens, athletes, moms-to-be, and stressed-out urbanites
• Many treatments can be performed outdoors
• Canyon Ranch's beauty balms are sold at the spa
• The resort's salon performs a full range of hair services, mani-pedis, waxing, makeup, and men's grooming,
After their spa treatment, many guests take a dip in the hotel's rooftop lap pool, edged with bamboo trees and offering mind-cleansing views of the Atlantic Ocean and Miami Beach.
Gym and Fitness at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
• The cutting-edge Fitness Center overlooking a beachfront garden offers elite equipment like a Kinesis setup and rock-climbing wall
• Over 40 indoor and outdoor classes include Beach Conditioning, Boxer's Workout, Buff Ballet Booty, Spin, and much more
• One of the resort's four pools is a fitness-oriented, with lap lanes
• Various fitness pros are eagr to assess guests' fitness levels and creat workout regimens
Wellness Programs and Packages at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
The property offers the option of targeted programs for health and well-being.
• They promote recuperation, personal nutirition, pain management, weight loss, smoking cessation, and more
• Individual treatments include Reiki, acupuncture, Ayurveda, and other healing modalities
• Wellness program page
Healthy, delicious dining options at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach >>Continue to 5 of 6 below.
05 of 06
Dining at Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
Dining at Canyon Ranch Miami Beach ranges from fresh-pulped green juices to hearty steak and cocktails. The kitchen offers vegan, gluten-free, and other dietary dishes.
Canyon Ranch Grill indulges guests with breakfasts, lunches, and dinners that are good for your body. Extensive nutritional information on the menu allows diners to monitor their calorie, fat, protein and fiber intake.
The breezy dining room is decorated in warm, rich wood with deep red accents. Seating options include cozy indoor tables, outdoor oceanfront seating, and comfy stools with full views of the restaurant's open "expo kitchen."
Canyon Ranch Grill's breakfast buffet is a classy affair. Guests can expect:
• Smoked salmon, fresh fruit, whole and egg-white eggs
• Platters of whole-grain breads,and muffins
• An extensive granola-and-yogurt bar with toppings like dried fruit, fresh coconut, berries
• Fresh-pressed “green” juices (also available round-the-clock)
Dinner at Canyon Ranch Grill is a bit more... indulgent, with full menu service.
• Mains like yellowtail snapper in saffron broth and grass-fed Churrasco steak are in sync with Miami’s Latin-inspired dining scene
• Starters and sides include savories like sweet potato fries, crab and artichoke dip, and hearth-fired pizzas
• Desserts are fresh and light
• To drink: organic spirits, biodynamic wines, fresh juices, artisanal sodas
Other dining venues at Canyon Ranch Miami:
• The more casual Cabana restaurant, serving light, healthy meals and bites beside the Cabana pool
• A juice bar, Eezz’s, in the fitness area
• Carillon Lounge, a casual, over-the-counter café and bar, features barista creations, organic cocktails, and happy hour specials
Intrigued by Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach? Find out how to connect >>Continue to 6 of 6 below.
06 of 06
Connect with Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
Connect with Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
• Resort website
• Phone 305.514.7000
• On Facebook
Canyon Ranch Hotel & Spa Miami Beach
6801 Collins Ave.
Miami Beach, FL 33141
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit for the purpose of describing the hotel. While this arrangement has not influenced her article, About.com believes in editorial transparency. For details, see our site's Ethics Statement.