Each holiday season, the historic churches in Frederick, Maryland open their doors to the public for the annual Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship. Church spires that highlight the Frederick skyline have become a symbol of the area’s heritage and beauty. Many of the churches stood as witness during the Civil War and served as hospitals after the battles of Antietam and Monocacy. During the candlelight tour, more than a dozen sites offer special programs, angelic choirs, and nativity scenes celebrating Frederick, Maryland’s tradition of religious diversity, and local history.
Date and Time: December 26, 2016, 4-9 p.m. The event is held rain or shine, unless there is a snow emergency plan in effect.
Location: Begin your tour at 19 E. Church Street in Downtown Frederick, Maryland. Parking is available at Church Street Garage, Carroll Creek Garage, West Patrick Street Garage, or street parking.
The Candlelight Tour of Historic Houses of Worship was a concept originally developed in 1986 by Peter Plamondon Sr. In addition to featuring numerous churches of varying faiths, the tour has also included the Beth Sholom Synagogue since the program’s inception.
Over the years, the program grew and today visitors enjoy tours, interpretations, and seasonal music performed by vocalists, piano, organ or instrumentalists - with some sites offering complimentary beverages and light refreshments. Congregational members act as hosts to greet visitors and answer questions about the history of the churches. Outside, luminaries guide visitors from one site to the next.
Participating Houses of Worship
- Evangelical Reformed United Church of Christ - 11 West Church Street, Frederick, MD
- Trinity Chapel United Church of Christ -10 West Church Street, Frederick, MD
- Asbury United Methodist Church -West All Saints & Court Streets, Frederick, MD
- All Saints’ Episcopal Church - 106 West Church Street, Frederick, MD
- Calvary United Methodist Church - North Bentz & West 2nd Streets, Frederick, MD
- Frederick Presbyterian Church - 115 West 2nd Street, Frederick, MD
- Centennial Memorial United Methodist Church - 8 West 2nd Street, Frederick, MD
- Grace United Church of Christ- 25 East 2nd Street, Frederick, MD
- The Visitation Academy Chapel - 200 East Second Street, Frederick, MD
- Saint John the Evangelist Catholic Church - 118 East 2nd Street, Frederick, MD
- Evangelical Lutheran Church - 35 East Church Street, Frederick, MD
- Joseph Dill Baker Carillon - Baker Park, Frederick, MD
A temporary information center will be open until 9 p.m. at 19 E. Church Street, Frederick, MD on the night of the tour. The event is coordinated by The Tourism Council of Frederick County and sponsored by the Everedy Square & Shab Row Shopping Complex, The Plamondon Companies, Frederick County Bank, and the Frederick News-Post. For more information, visit www.visitfrederick.org.
Read More About Christmas Events in Frederick