Enjoy Canada in October
October is a great time to visit Canada. The weather is cool but comfortable and the fall foliage is spectacular. Most outdoor activities can still be enjoyed comfortably with a little extra layering.
Across Canada, October weather conditions will be cool with some precipitation but pleasant. Snow is not common unless you really head north, but most of Canada lives in the southern parts of the country, within 250 km of the U.S. border.
The beginning of October will be typical fall weather (light jacket) but as the end of the month rolls around, it can turn to downright nippy (heavy coat required).
Diminished crowds - compared to July and August - pleasant weather and travel bargains make October an ideal time to visit most places across Canada, so consider extending your trip to include some other of the country's top destinations to broaden your sense of this diverse country.
Fall foliage has peaked in most Canadian spots by mid- to late October, but keep in mind that more norther locales will reach their colour summit earlier.
Complementing the fall colours are loads of seasonal festivals, including pumpkin patches, corn mazes, farm open houses and fall fairs. In addition, Canadian Thanksgiving always takes place the second Monday of October.
Average October Temperature (Low / High)
- Vancouver, BC: 43 / 57ºFahrenheit (6 / 14ºCelsius)
- Edmonton, AB: 30 / 52ºF, (-1 / 11ºC)
- Yellowknife, NWT: 27 / 34ºF, (-3 / 1ºC)
- Inukjuak, NU: 30 / 36ºF, (-1 / 2ºC)
- Winnipeg, MB: 32 / 52ºF, (0 / 11ºC)
- Ottawa, ON: 37 / 55ºF, (3 / 13ºC)
- Toronto, ON: 39 / 57ºF, (4 / 14ºC)
- Montréal:, QC: 39 / 55ºF, (4 / 13ºC)
- Halifax, NS: 39 / 55ºF, (4 / 13ºC)
- St. John's, NF: 37 / 52ºF, (3 / 11ºC)
October in Major Canadian Cities
Know where in Canada you're going? Check out more detailed Canadian city weather and event guides:
What To Pack
- This varies somewhat from place to place and what time of the month you are travelling, but most anywhere in Canada has the potential to be cold enough to warrant a jacket, fleece, sweater, gloves, hat and long pants.
- The beginning of the month could be warm enough for a t-shirt in the day. Layers, layers, layers.
- Fall in Canada is a beautiful time of year, with the changing colours of the leaves and comfortable temperatures. See 10 of the best spots in Canada to enjoy the fall foliage.
Good to Know
- Average temperatures in Canadian provinces vary widely. Be sure to check the weather by Canadian city and province.
- Find out about Canadian money, where to exchange currency, using ATMs, typical prices in Canada, and more.
- The second Monday of October is Thanksgiving. Banks and most stores will be closed. Expect crowds that weekend.
October In Canada Highlights / Events - Vancouver, Toronto & Montreal
October in Canada Highlights / Events
- Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival, Various locations, Alberta
- Vancouver Int'l Film Festival, end Sept/early Oct: Vancouver, BC
- The Stratford Festival (Theatre), May - October: Stratford, Ontario
- The Shaw Festival (Theatre), April - November: Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Celtic Colours International Festival, Begins Thanksgiving weekend: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
- Ottawa Food & Wine Show, October - November: Ottawa, Ontario
- Oktoberfest, 2-wk festival (largest Bavarian festival in North America) ends first Sunday of October: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
- Fall Fairs, Sept/October: Towns and cities across the country
- Pumpkin Festivals, Sept/October: Farms across the country
- Apple Picking, Sept/October: Apple orchards across the country
- Corn Mazes, Corn fields across the country