Vancouver, BC has an easy to use rapid transit system (metro) for residents and visitors called the Canada Line / SkyTrain.
The Canada Line is a (mostly) underground rapid transit train that runs north-south, connecting Downtown Vancouver to the Vancouver International Airport and Richmond, BC. The SkyTrain is an elevated train (hence the name) that runs northwest-southeast, connecting Downtown Vancouver to East Vancouver, Burnaby, BC, and Surrey, BC.
Both the Canada Line and the SkyTrain are run by Translink, the public transportation organization in Metro Vancouver. Translink also runs all Metro Vancouver buses and seabuses. You can find Canada Line and SkyTrain departure and arrival times, as well as information on tickets, at the official Translink website.
There are ticket machines inside all Canada Line / SkyTrain stations where you can purchase a ticket using cash, debit or credit cards. When you buy your ticket, the machine will ask your destination, to determine if you pay for "one zone," "two zones" or "three zones" (i.e., is your destination within one zone or two).
Schedules and Maps
Unfortunately, there is no Translink app. But, you can use their mobile-version website on your phone to check Canada Line / SkyTrain schedules and maps. Maps of all Canada Line /SkyTrain routes and stations are also posted in every station, as well as inside every train.
Attractions Near Canada Line Stations
Exploring Vancouver by Canada Line is fast, inexpensive (you don't have to pay for parking) and easy.
- Waterfront Station is within walking distance of Canada Place, the Downtown Vancouver waterfront, Gastown, and the Herb Museum.
- Vancouver City Centre Station is within walking distance of several Downtown Vancouver attractions, including the Vancouver Art Gallery, Robson Square, Robson Street, and downtown shopping.
- Yaletown-Roundhouse Station is within walking distance of Yaletown restaurants and nightlife, the Roundhouse Community Centre, and the Aquabus to Granville Island.
- Broadway-City Hall Station is within walking distance of Vancouver City Hall.
- Oakridge - 41st Avenue Station is within walking distance of Oakridge Centre Mall, one of the top Vancouver malls.
- Bridgeport Station is within walking distance of the Richmond Night Market, one of Vancouver's biggest summer night markets.
Attractions Near SkyTrain Stations
- Stadium-Chinatown Station is within walking distance of Vancouver's historic Chinatown.
- Main Street-Science World Station is across the street from Science World, one of the top Vancouver attractions for kids.
- Commercial-Broadway Station is within walking distance of Commercial Drive dining and shopping, and Trout Lake.
- Metrotown Station is at Metropolis at Metrotown, the biggest mall in British Columbia.