Warming weather and fewer crowds make late spring/early summer a great time to visit Canada. The gamut of festivals kicks off later in the season, but the long days already start to get warmer in June. Outdoor lovers especially enjoy Canada at this time of the year as the country offers some of the best hiking, boating, camping, and fishing destinations.
West Coast weather, such as in Vancouver, tends to be milder than what you find in Toronto, Niagara Falls, Montreal, Halifax, and other eastern destinations.
Average June Temperatures (Low / High)
- Vancouver, BC: 52 / 66º F (11 / 19º C)
- Edmonton, AB: 45 / 70º F, (7 / 21º C)
- Yellowknife, NWT: 46 / 64º F, (8 / 18º C)
- Inukjuak, NU: 32 / 46º F, (0 / 8º C)
- Winnipeg, MB: 50 / 73º F, (10 / 23º C)
- Ottawa, ON: 54 / 75º F, (12 / 24º C)
- Toronto, ON: 52 / 75º F, (11 / 24º C)
- Montréal:, QC: 55 / 73º F, (13 / 23º C)
- Halifax, NS: 48 / 68º F, (9 / 20º C)
- St. John's, NF: 43 / 61º F, (6 / 16º C)
- Warmer weather means visitors can enjoy more of Canada's great outdoor offerings, such as camping and fishing.
- Springtime means fewer tourists to compete with at the most popular destinations, and you can often find lower prices on accommodations and activities.
- June also means easier access to Canada's northern territories: the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.
- Some of the most popular Canadian festivals and events do not get underway until later in the summer season.
- Black flies, deer flies, and horse flies proliferate throughout central Canada, mostly in forested areas. They bite and can make life quite miserable. Bring repellent, light clothing to provide maximum coverage, and a hat.
June Highlights and Events
- Gros Morne Theatre Festival The 16-week summer repertory season begins in May and extends to September with two performances nightly in the community of Cow Head.
- The Niagara Home Grown Wine Festival kicks off summer with a tailgate party of 30 Niagara wineries in the vineyard at 13th Street Winery.
- Banff Summer Arts Festival Music, film, theater, and dance performances take place from May through August in Banff, Alberta.
- The Charlottetown Festival This celebration of Canadian performing arts, including the long-running Anne of Green Gables - The Musical, takes place in Prince Edward Island's capital city from mid-June to the end of September.
- The Stratford Festival (Theatre) This repertory theater festival focuses on the works of William Shakespeare from May to October in Stratford, Ontario.
- The Shaw Festival (Theatre) One of the largest repertory companies in North America stages productions by Shaw and his contemporaries from April to November in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario.
- The Festival International de Jazz de Montreal This annual event at the end of June attracts jazz enthusiasts from around the globe with hundreds of concerts during the week and a half run.
Find out about Canadian money, where to exchange currency, using ATMs, typical prices in Canada, and more.