April is a great time to get a travel bargain in Canada. Many hotels, airlines and tour companies offer savings in spring.
By April, spring's heels are firmly dug in in Vancouver and the west coast. Nevertheless, the ski season in Whistler is still going strong. Elsewhere in the country, the chill of winter is disappearing but weather can be unpredictable—be prepared for a variety of weather.
City-Specific Weather & Event Guides
April Weather in Canada
Average Temperature, Low / High
- Vancouver, BC: 41 / 55ºFahrenheit (5 / 13ºCelsius)
- Edmonton, AB: 27 / 48ºF, (-3 / 9ºC)
- Yellowknife, NWT: 9 / 30ºF, (-13 / -1ºC)
- Iqaluit, NU: -2 / 14ºF, (-19 / -10ºC)
- Winnipeg, MB: 28 / 48ºF, (-3 / 9ºC)
- Ottawa, ON: 37 / 54ºF, (3 / 15ºC)
- Toronto, ON : 34 / 53ºF, (1 / 11ºC)
- Montréal:, QC 34 / 52ºF, (1 / 11ºC)
- Halifax, NS: 34 / 48ºF, (1 / 9ºC)
- St. John's, NF: 30 / 41ºF, (-1 / 5ºC)
What to Wear
What you pack depends on where you are going in Canada.
- Toronto in April: Coolish, but could be warm, or even snow, so lots of layers.
- Vancouver in April: Pleasant and warmish. Layers, waterproof
- Montreal in April: Basically same as Toronto
That said, useful items to pack for most Canadian destinations in April are:
- A winter coat for everywhere except for Vancouver or Victoria is a safe bet.
- Warm, water-resistant outer wear
- Comfortable closed-toe shoes and boots if you're going to be outside of the city.
- A range of clothing, including t-shirts, sweaters, light pants, heavy slacks. Dressing in layers is a good idea.
- Loads of travel deals and discounts on popular tourist activities
- Warmer weather opens up the possibility of more outdoor activity
- Snow melting and spring showers mean wet, muddy conditions
- Weather is unpredictable, which is why dressing in layers is so advisable
Good to Know
- Easter in Canada falls some time between March 22 and April 25, which may mean holiday closures.
- Newfoundland observes St George's Day on the Monday nearest April 23. Check to see that any stores or offices you plan to visit are open.
- Skiing remains popular in spring and lots of spring skiing vacation deals are available.