Can I Get a Chinese Visa in Hong Kong

Monthly updated information on Chinese visas in Hong Kong

Chinese Visa
••• kris krüg / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0

The short answer to can I get a Chinese visa in Hong Kong is yes, you can. The Chinese Government seems to have sowed some seeds of confusion with its banning of Chinese visa issuing in Hong Kong for anybody but Hong Kong residents. Instead, you are supposed to apply for a Chinese visa from the Chinese embassy in your home country, Yet, while that remains the official rule, you will always be able to get hold of a tourist visa for China in Hong Kong.


You can get single and double entry Chinese visas in Hong Kong. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong will only issue visas to Hong Kong residents, and while most people find they are willing to break this rule they can make life difficult with paperwork. Slightly more expensive, but much easier is using a local tour agent - notably, the quasi-government - run China Travel Service (CTS). You won't be able to apply for a multi-entry visa in Hong Kong unless you are a permanent Hong Kong resident. For all visas, it has become increasingly important that you have your Hong Kong arrival form issued at Hong Kong immigration, 

Remember, if you just want a peek at China, some nationalities can get an on the spot Shenzhen Visa specific for that city on the Hong Kong border. It's valid for five days, although it has a number of restrictions. Find out more in our Shenzhen Visa FAQ.

The information on this page is valid for nationals of the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Canada and the European Union.

UPDATED JUNE 16 - Visitors are recommended to use tour agencies such as Forever Bright and CTS because of ongoing complexities at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Tour agencies are now able to issue business visas to visitors who have an invitation from a company in China. 

UPDATED JUNE 15 - The consular office is only issuing visas to those who are visiting China for the first or second time.

You will need your Hong Kong immigration slip issued on arrival in Hong Kong. CTS is still processing all applicants. 

UPDATED June 14 - No significant updates

UPDATED JUNE 13 - Filipino and Indian citizens are reporting that they can longer obtain a Shenzhen visa at the border. 

UPDATED JUNE 12 - Japanese and Singapore citizens can now access China visa-free. 

UPDATED JUNE 11 - No significant updates

UPDATED JUNE 10 - The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs still states on its website that foreigners are ‘advised’ to apply for Chinese visas in their home countries. The Ministry is issuing single and double entry visas with no extra charge or inconvenience. The information has likely been left on the website in case the Chinese government should suddenly stop issuing visas once again (as with the Olympics). To repeat, there is no problem obtaining a single or double entry visa in Hong Kong from the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

UPDATED JUNE 09 - Hong Kong has introduced the Guangdong Group Visa, allowing groups of three to visit the Guangdong Province for up to six days. A number of restrictions apply.

Where Can I Get a Chinese Visa in Hong Kong?

The main issuing bodies in Hong Kong are the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a government body, and China Travel Service (CTS), a quasi-state travel agent.

The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs offers cheaper prices but CTS offers full service, walking you through what’s needed step by step. As of 2016, non-Hong Kong residents are advised to use a tour agency. 

How Much Does a Chinese Visa in Hong Kong Cost?

Prices depend on both your nationality and the speed you require. Check out our full How Much Does a Chinese Visa Cost in Hong Kong article for a blow by blow account of the prices.