01 of 08
Cameron House: Living the Swanky Scottish Life on Beautiful Loch Lomond
Begin Your Euro Vacation at Cameron House, Europe's Shortest Flight Away
Cameron House is a legendary lakeside luxury hotel that makes perfect sense as your first stop in Europe. This five-star hotel is set a mere 16 miles from Glasgow Airport on the banks of Loch Lomond, Scotland.
• See Cameron House's website and current deals
Does Loch Lomond Have a Sea Monster?
Loch (lake) Lomond is one of nature-loving Scotland's most beloved recreational destinations, and there's lots to do outdoors at and near the resort.
• Plus, Loch Lomond is rich in Scottish folklore and mysteries
• No, Loch Lomond is not the loch with the sea monster; that's Loch Ness. But you're free to look for one
How Do You Get to Glasgow, Scotland?
Glasgow is one of Europe's two closest destinations closest to North America by air (the other is Dublin in Ireland). Glasgow is reachable by nonstop flights from as short as five hours. Some North American cities where you can board a nonstop to Glasgow:
•... New York: from Newark Liberty Airport (EWR) and from JFK beginning May 2017
• LAX and San Francisco
• Miami and Orlando
• Las Vegas
• From Canada: Montreal, Toronto Vancouver, Halifax
Reasons to Stay at Charming Cameron House
With fine dining options, extensive spa facilities, and an unparalleled range of outdoor activities, Cameron House is a great Scottish escape. Every upscale traveler in Scotland knows and respects Cameron House. Some of its honors:
• Its spa won in three categories at The Spa Traveller Wellness Awards 2015
• Its golf course, The Carrick, is ranked "Best Clubhouse" by Scottish Golf Tourism
• Cameron House's main restaurant, Martin Wishart at Loch Lomond, has held a Michelin star since 2012
Next: Who stays at Cameron House, and would you like it?Continue to 2 of 8 below.
02 of 08
Would You Like Cameron House in Scotland?
What Kinds of Luxury Travelers Visit Cameron House?
Cameron House is a very popular choice for vacationing Scots and other Brits, and also draws visitors from continental Europe. Its classic Scottish charm and amazing nature activities also hold enormous appeal for Americans, Canadians, and Aussies.
Reasons that Guests Keep Coming Back to Cameron House
Cameron House is a no-question luxury hotel that enjoys a high repeat-guest rate, with many visitors booking year after year on the same week. What they keep returning for:
• A breathtaking Scottish baronial mansion
• A setting on the shores of one of the world’s most atmospheric lakes
• A wide range of activities including world-class golf, seaplane rides, lake cruises, and fitness programs
• Exceptional spa facilities and treatments
• An indoor-outdoor rooftop infinity pool overlooking Loch Lomond
• Superb cuisine in various dining venues including the Michelin-starred Martin Wishart restaurant
• Amazing natural scenery and hiking options
• Yet... easy access to the big-city life of Glasgow (such as the Buchanan Street shopping arcade and the always-fun Kelvingrove Museum)
Will You, Personally, Like Cameron House?
Would you enjoy a few days and nights at Cameron House?
You’ll love staying here if:
• You want a place to kick back, relax, and unwind amid some of Scotland’s most spectacular scenery
• You're up for an active holiday, whether cycling along the lakeside or hiking in the surrounding hills
• You're a golfer who will relish playing one of Scotland’s most renowned and picturesque courses
• You love feel-good facilities, from heart-pumping (gym, pool, squash courts) to soul-soothing (spa and tubs)
• You relish good food in all its forms, from Michelin-starred international gourmet fare to bistro to elevated pub grub
• You're traveling with kids, who are catered to and entertained at Cameron House
• You'd like being a half hour from Glasgow and its cultural scene
However, Cameron House may not be for you if:
• You'd prefer small, private-feeling boutique hotels to a 132-room manor house
• You prefer clean modern design to the tartan-bedecked Scottish look
• You want exciting nightlife at your hotel, and do not want to travel into Glasgow for it (Cameron House offers restaurants and bars, but very little happens after dark in the community)
Does Cameron House sound good to you? Next: see what the rooms are likeContinue to 3 of 8 below.
03 of 08
Rooms and Suites at Cameron House
Cameron House Delivers Classic Scottish Style and Great Views
Cameron House is a medium-sized hotel with 132 accommodations plus several private Cameron Lodges. Rooms and suites come in several categories.
I stayed in a midrange "Feature King" room.
• The Feature King room was beautifully furnished in a classic but contemporary style
• The king bed was inviting and luxurious
• Other room lures: a big-screen HD TV, desk with chair, safe, minibar, bottles of water on the house
• Two comfy armchairs at the large window that captured jaw-dropping views of the lake (Loch Lomond)
• A bathroom that boasted custom toiletries, fluffy bathrobes and slippers, and an indulgent "monsoon shower"
• Plus, the room included many travelers' favorite hotel amenity: complimentary wifi
Top Digs at Cameron House
Travelers who seek the absolute height of luxury at Cameron House check into one of the hotel's famed Whisky Suites, tucked away in their own corner of the property.
• Whisky Suites... are one-bedroom (with a four-poster bed) and a living room
• Décor is a modern take on traditional Highland styles (expect tartan, tweed, autumnal hues)
The Celebrity Choice: A Cameron Lodge
Guests desiring total privacy choose one of the standalone Cameron Lodges. These are private villas set apart from the main hotel's main manor house "on the bonny banks of Loch Lomond" (says the hotel's website).
• Cameron Lodges range from one bedroom to three
• They range in style from mini-castle to Highland hunting lodge to modern wood-and-glass
• The lodges are most in-demand around Christmas week
• Find out more about Cameron Lodges
Next: your choice of delicious dining and drinking options at Cameron HouseContinue to 4 of 8 below.
04 of 08
Cameron House Guests Dine and Drink Memorably
Cameron House Is a Paradise for Foodies
From dawn until the wee hours, Cameron House guests can hop from one welcoming restaurant or bar to another. This hotel is truly a playground for foodies.
Martin Wishart at Loch Lomond: A Scottish Culinary Jewel
Without a doubt, Cameron House's Michelin-starred restaurant, Martin Wishart at Loch Lomond, is the culinary highlight of a stay. Its reputation is extensive, and it draws diners from all over Scotland and beyond.
• Lovely Loch Lomond views enhance the elegant dining room, with stylish lime-green and leather seats
• The dinner menu is various tasting menus including a vegetarian; lunch is a la carte
• Info and all Martin Wishart menus
Tempting Tastes at Martin Wishart Restaurant at Cameron House
My guest and I relished Martin Wishart's six-course tasting menu.
• It began delectably with confit of trout with smoked mussel cream
• One memorable entree was pork cheek and Shetland squid with cauliflower cream and bonito butter sauce
•... Honey-spiced Goosnargh duck with red cabbage and spätzle proved not just for German diners
• A course of excellent Scottish cheeses is worth the supplement
• The wine list is a pleasure just to read through; we took the sommelier's excellent advice
Cameron Grill for Breakfast and Dinner
The main hotel restaurant is the enjoyable Cameron Grill, shown above. It serves breakfast and dinner.
• Morning diners can choose a sumptuous breakfast buffet complete with Scottish fry-up
• Or a la carte specialties like sublime Scottish smoked salmon with scrambled eggs
• Breakfast libations include fresh fruit juices and smoothies, a "Bloody Mary Queen of Scots" and excellent cappuccino and latte
Dinner at Cameron Grill focuses on (yes) grilled meat, poultry, and game.
• I can highly recommend the Highland Deer with roasted beets and hazelnuts
Other Dining Options at Cameron House
The Boathouse at Loch Lomond's harbor, a five-minute walk from reception, is another standout dining option at Cameron House. You can sit inside or outside, overlooking the marina.
An informal, nautical-themed bistro, The Boathouse is ideal for traditional pub food and tasty seafood dishes.
• My meal highlight: monkfish wrapped in Parma ham with crushed potatoes, tomatoes, and asparagus
• I washed this down with a superbly light and refreshing Terre di Giumara Grecanico white wine from Sicily, recommended by the sommelier
The Claret Jug at The Carrick is possibly the world's best golf clubhouse restaurant, open to any and all. It serves proper roasts and chops, fusion fare like haggis with Asian spices, and contemporary eats like lip-smacking mac-and-cheese and to-die-for garlic bread.
• "The Claret Jug" refers to the nickname for Britain's most prestigious golf trophy, awarded in the form of a silver wine pitcher.
• The background: "Claret" is the customary British Isles term for Bordeaux wine. So ahead and order yourself a lovely claret at The Claret Jug!
• The restaurant's tabs are quite moderate
• In warm weather you can dine outdoors overlooking The Carrick golf course's back nine holes
• Or go just for a drink and the sticky toffee pudding, made by the hotel’s eminent pastry chef
• The Claret Jug's menu
Fancy a Wee Dram of Scots Whisky? Great Scots Bar Is the Place
Cameron House's convivial Great Scots Bar is a whisky connoisseur's paradise. Here, you can sink into cushy chairs and sofas and sample Scotch to your heart's content.
• Scores of labels are featured, from blends to 40-year-old single malts
• You can order by the glass, by the bottle, or in tasting flights
• Scotch elixirs are complemented by a menu of snacks and dishes
Cameron's House's Traditional British Afternoon Tea
Tea is so beloved at Cameron House, it's served in three venues: the sociable Drawing Room, the Great Scots Bar, and the hotel spa's serene reception lounge.
• It's done to perfection here, with divine scones, raspberry jam, and clotted cream
• Fun fact: high tea was invented by a bored duchess who had nothing to do in the afternoon
• See sample Cameron House tea menus (including an opulent Champagne tea)
Next: golf greatness at Cameron HouseContinue to 5 of 8 below.
05 of 08
Glorious Golf at Cameron House in Scotland
Scot-ify Your Game at Cameron House's Renowned Golf Courses
Cameron House's signature golf course is The Carrick, one of Scotland’s most famous and picturesque.
• An 18-hole, par-71 championship course, it has hosted the PGA Cup, the Europro Tour, and the Ladies Scottish Open
• Its holes vary from emerald-carpeted slopes to tricky and trap-laden
• The Carrick's halfway house is unique: a pretty riverboat, dug into the ground, serving drinks and hot snacks
• There’s also a driving range, where I had a lesson that included high-tech video analysis of my swing
• Cameron House's other course, Wee Demon, packs a lot of golf drama into nine holes
• See more about Cameron House's The Carrick and Wee Demon courses
Got a Junior Golfer in Tow?
Cameron House boasts regular golf privileges for kids and mini golf for the toddlers.
• Why? In Scotland, golfers start young
Next: get outside Cameron House and revel in Scottish natureContinue to 6 of 8 below.
06 of 08
Explore the Great Outdoors at Cameron House
Cameron House Guests Own the Outdoors
Any fresh-air pursuit that the Scottish climate allows can be found at Cameron House. This is an ideal hotel for people who love the outdoors: land, lake, and air.
Do you love views? You can climb into Cameron Hose's seaplane (shown above) for a thrill ride that bestows amazing vistas of Loch Lomond. And of course, you get a thrilling adrenaline boost.
• A 45-minute ride will take you around the loch and to the Galway Bay coast, where you can spot Ireland's Isle of Arran (so grab a window seat!)
• Another great way to see the loch is on the legendary Cameron House motor cruiser, Celtic Warrior, with Champagne in hand
• Other outdoor activities at Cameron House include cycling, hiking, fly-fishing, pony trekking, clay pigeon shooting
Next: Rainy outside, or you simply want to wear a bathrobe all day? Here's all you can do indoors at Cameron HouseContinue to 7 of 8 below.
07 of 08
You Don't Have to Go Outside to Enjoy a Fabulous Stay at Cameron House
Indoor Facilities, From Spa Treatments to Shopping
Even on a rainy day (of which there are quite a few at Loch Lomond), Cameron House has plenty of great activities.
Soak Away the Day in The Spa at Cameron House
The Spa at Cameron House is a vast wellness facility. It's two miles from the hotel, but free shuttles whisk you there.
• The spa's signature offering is its extensive Hydro and Thermal Experience, with massage-jet pools, cold plunge pool, ice sauna, hot sauna, steam rooms, a not-as-hot tepidarium, plunge pools, and aroma rooms
• And there's more! See just what you can do in the Hydro and Thermal Experience
A Full-Service Spa
The spa's 16 treatment rooms, plus a couple’s suite, serve up facials, massages, scrubs, baths, body shaping, and more.
• See the spa service menu and price list
• Full-service beauty treatments cover manicure and pedicures; salon services like haircolor and styling; makeup application; more
An Amazing Pool
One of Cameron House's jewels is the... spa's rooftop infinity pool, with stirring views across Loch Lomond and the surrounding hills.
• Guests cannot use the pool without a spa appointment but have open access to the pools at The Leisure Club...
The Leisure Club at Cameron House
A stay at Cameron House grants complimentary access to the hotel's Leisure Club.
• If offers two large swimming pools
• One is a lap-suitable 66 feet long, with a view of The Carrick golf course
• The other is a splash pool with a water slide
• You can raise a racquet at Cameron House's squash courts
• The modern workout facility has the latest Technogym Artis equipment. weights, and regular fitness classes
Family Fun at Cameron House
The resort offers a lot to do for parents and children, separately or together.
• The Kidzone tempts young guests ages 5 to 12 with a game room, pool table, air hockey, Xboxes, movies, dance parties, and much more
• The Creche is for little ones from six weeks through four years
• Parents: get some "couple time" with the resort's "Little Cherubs" babysitting service, a phone call or app click away
• More about family stays at Cameron House
More: how to connect with and follow Cameron HouseContinue to 8 of 8 below.
08 of 08
Intrigued by Cameron House? Here's Where to Find Out More
Find Out More About Cameron House
Visit the Cameron House website and check out its current deals, promotions, and packages.
• Like Cameron House on Facebook or follow it on Twitter
• Check out pictures on Instagram
• Book your stay online or ask questions by email
As is common in the travel industry, the Guest Author was provided with a complimentary visit for the purpose of describing Cameron House. For details, see our site's Ethics Policy.