Cambridge is a charming historic town on the Choptank River, a major tributary of the Chesapeake Bay, on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Located in Dorchester County, Maryland, just 90 miles southeast of Washington DC, the waterfront community makes a great getaway destination for those who enjoy outdoor recreation and exploring small towns. The historic district features brick paved streets with parks, a marina, museums, and a lighthouse on the water.
The area attracts nature lovers, birders, photographers, cyclists, and paddlers to the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. Over the past few years, Cambridge has been experiencing a renaissance, as old buildings are being renovated and returned to their former glory. One-of-a-kind shops, boutiques, and galleries as well as a variety of new restaurants have recently opened.
Getting to Downtown Cambridge: From Washington, DC, Virginia, Baltimore, and points west: Take Route 50 East, pass over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, continue on Route 50 for about 40 miles. After you cross the Choptank River Bridge, make the first right onto Maryland Avenue. Go about a half-mile, cross over a small drawbridge and continue straight where Maryland Avenue becomes Market Street. Turn Right on Spring Street. At the intersection of High Street, you are in the center of town. Take a Right on High Street and continue to the end of the street to reach Longwarf Park and the lighthouse.
There is a parking lot next to the lighthouse and street parking throughout the town. See a map of the Maryland Eastern Shore.
Major Attractions Near Cambridge
Choptank River Lighthouse - 10 High Street Cambridge, MD. The replica of a six-sided screwpile lighthouse that guided mariners along the Choptank River for generations is open to the public for free, self-guided tours daily from mid-May through October.
Harriet Tubman Museum & Education Center - 424 Race Street Cambridge, MD. (410) 228-0401. The small museum highlights the life and stories of Harriet Tubman, the Underground Railroad heroine and Dorchester County native. She escaped slavery and returned to lead dozens of others to freedom. Open Tuesday through Saturday.
Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge - Established in 1933 as a waterfowl sanctuary for birds, Blackwater is located 12 miles south of Cambridge and consists of more than 25,000 acres of tidal wetlands, open fields, and deciduous forests. Visitors may bike, walk, or drive along the trails to view wildlife. There are three paddling trails, as well as hunting/fishing/crabbing opportunities.
Richardson Maritime Museum & Boatworks - Maryland Avenue & Hayward Street; Cambridge, MD (410) 221-8844. Founded in memory of a prominent local boatbuilder, the museum displays ship models and boatbuilding artifacts. The Ruark Boatworks Build-A-Boat Program gives student groups the opportunity to learn about maritime heritage while building their own boat and model.
- The Wine Bar & Shop - 414 Race Street (410) 253-9248. Wine Bar
- Bistro Poplar - 535 Poplar Street (410) 228-4884. French
- Canvasback Restaurant and Irish Pub - 420 Race Street (410) 221-7888. French, Italian, and Irish
- Craniums at the Beach - 420 Race Street. Steaks and Seafood
- Don Chuy Mexican Taqueria - 411 Academy Street. (410) 228 -2969. Mexican
- The High Spot - 305 High Street (410) 228-7420. Gastropub and Seafood
- Jimmie and Sooks - 527 Poplar Street (410) 228-0008. Raw Bar and Seafood
- Leaky Pete’s Oyster and Wine Bar - 404 Race Street (410) 228-2245. Seafood and Wine Bar
- Paul’s Subs - 400 Academy Street (410) 901-1004. Sandwiches
- Portside Seafood Restaurant - 201 Trenton Street (410) 228-9007. Seafood
- Reale Revival Brewery - 504-506 Poplar Street (443) 225-5664. Brewpub
- Snapper’s Waterfront Café - 112 Commerce Street (410) 228-0112. American and Seafood
- Stoked Restaurant - 413 Muir Street. Wood-fired Pizza and Italian
Hotels and Places to Stay
- Cambridge House Bed & Breakfast - 112 High Street (410) 221-7700.
- Comfort Inn and Suites - 2936 Ocean Gateway (410) 901-0926.
- Days Inn and Suites - 2917 Ocean Gateway (800) 329-1992
- Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort - 100 Heron Boulevard (410) 901-1234.
- Holiday Inn Express Cambridge - 2715 Ocean Gateway (877) 863-4780.
- Kindred Spirits Family Massage & Cottage Retreat - 102 Hiawatha Road (410) 221-7575 or (410) 725-9364.
- Lodgecliffe on the Choptank - 102 Choptank Terrace (410) 228-1760 or (410) 463-0448.
- Mill Street Inn - 114 Mill Street (410) 901-9144.