Maple sugaring season is in full swing in New England from late February through March. If you can't get to New England while the sap is flowing, you can still feast on a hearty New England breakfast in your own home.
First, buy New England maple syrup online. Here's your guide to New England sugarhouses that will deliver syrup right to your doorstep. Then, check out the delicious breakfast recipes from New England inns and restaurants that I've assembled.
Whether you've got a hankering for French toast, pancakes, fritters or waffles, you're sure to find an authentic New England recipe that will be the perfect accompaniment for the region's finest, pure maple syrup.
- Bob's Sugar House in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine, offers all grades of pure Maine maple syrup in a wide variety of containers, ranging from country plastic to decorative tins to painted and laser-engraved glass bottles. Buy online, or call them at 207-564-2145 to place your order. Prices range from $4.95 for the 3.4-oz. plastic "sampler" of syrup, to $58.95 for a gallon-size jug.
- I can vouch for the sweetness of the syrup from Carman Brook Maple & Dairy Farm in Swanton, Vermont, because I ordered their heart-shaped maple syrup wedding favors for my own New England wedding. Carman Brook also offers an online catalog of assorted maple products including syrup and gift baskets. Join the Carman Brook Maple Club for sweet surprises all year long.
- Vermont's Green Mountain Sugar House has won numerous awards in local, state and international contests for its maple syrup. And you can buy this award-winning syrup for delivery straight to your home using their online ordering option. Prices vary based on container size and include all shipping and handling charges.
- K.E. Farm, a small family farm in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, boasts it's got the "sweetest syrup in the East." Sample it for yourself by calling 508-347-9323 to place an order.
- Merle Maple Farm in upstate New York has syrup for sale in tins, jugs and in decorative bottles, too. One 14-oz. tin can of pure maple syrup costs $7, but you'll have trouble keeping yourself from running up an order that includes some of this farm's other maple specialties, including maple spread, maple barbeque sauce, granulated maple sugar, maple roasted coffee, maple mustard and even maple-coated dog biscuits. Call 585-535-7136 to place an order, or buy maple syrup and other gourmet products online. The hardest part will be waiting for the sweet stuff to arrive.
- Morse Farm Maple Sugarworks in Montpelier, Vermont, offers maple syrup for order online. Order by the gill, half-pint, pint, quart, half gallon or gallon, with prices ranging from $3.95 (3.4-ounce gill) to $56.95 (gallon). Additional shipping charges apply. If you'd rather order by phone, call Morse Farm toll free at 800-242-2740.
- Parker's Maple Barn in New Hampshire offers an online catalog of its most popular maple syrup products and gift baskets. Buy online, or call 800-832-2308 toll-free to place your order.
- A family-owned Vermont business, Sugarbush Farm offers secure online syrup ordering. Prices start at $8.95 for a half pint container, and a half gallon will cost you $43.25. You may also call them at 802-457-1757 or toll free, 800-281-1757 to order by phone.
- Taft's Milk and Maple Farm in Huntington, Vermont, sells its maple syrup and maple cream online. You can also place an order by calling 802-434-2727. Worldwide shipping is available.
- Thatcher's Sugarhouse has been around since 1906, and you can order pure maple syrup made in the Berkshires of Massachusetts from them for home delivery. Choose from light, medium or dark amber, and select from sizes ranging from a half pint ($7.00) to a gallon ($55.00). Use the online order form for quick selection of items, but you will need to mail, fax or email your payment information to the sugarhouse before your order can be processed. Secure online ordering is not available at this time.
Next page > New England Breakfast Recipes