Halloween in the Mile High City starts with the perfect costume, preferably one that will keep you warm while trick-or-treating in the Colorado weather. Check out these top shops for Halloween costumes for both children to adults. If you've noticed Halloween creeping into stores earlier and earlier, you're not alone.
"People shouldn’t be too surprised when they see Halloween candy and decorations available in stores as early as September first," said Pam Goodfellow, a principal analyst for Prosper Insights, in a news release. "Given that more than a third of Americans enjoy taking advantage of early-bird deals to kick off their fall celebrations, it seems there’s plenty of appetite among consumers to enjoy a perfectly ‘frightful’ Halloween."
- The Wizard's Chest
- The unique toy store offers elaborate costumes in a location on Broadway, although the costumes tend to be on the pricier side. However, the Wizard's Chest offers one of the widest selection of adult and children costumes in town so it's worth visiting if only to get ideas. Please note the Wizard's Chest moved from its former Cherry Creek location at the end of 2015.
- The Disney Store
- If you have always dreamed of being a Disney character, the Disney Store offers plenty of princess outfits for little girls and pirate costumes for little boys. Grown-ups can also find costumes from their favorite Disney films. The Disney Store is also located at the FlatIron Crossing mall in Broomfield and the Town Center at Aurora.
- Party City
- Party City offers a wide variety of affordable costumes for children and adults, and also carries plus sizes for both men and women. The party supply store also is a one-stop shop for your Halloween invitations and decorations. Party City also has locations in Aurora, Centennial, Lakewood, Littleton and Westminster.
- Goodwill Industries of Denver
- Goodwill has several locations around Denver, and their store on South Broadway is centrally located in the Baker neighborhood. If you don't mind a little digging, you can usually find some creative vintage costumes at the city's largest thrift store.
- Fascinations Sensual Shoppe
- Fascinations offers adult costumes only, especially of the R-rated variety. If you're planning on being a naughty nurse or basically anything else with naughty in the title, this is the place to go. Fascinations has a wide selection of costumes for women, but not a lot of costumes for men.
- Disguises Costume Superstore
- Head west to Lakewood for the best selection of rentals in town. Located unobtrusively in a strip mall off Colfax, Disguises offers costume rentals all year round. You must be 18 to rent a costume, and the rental period is for a minimum of two days.